Cobrafreak's board track racer project, has ended

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Cobrafreak's board track racer project, never ends!

Your wife is more interested in the bikes then you? You my friend, are one lucky man LOL

Agreed. She was urging me to place the order for another engine to get the Worksman going. I tend to take forever to start something and then finish it quickly. I just need a push.

Got a bicycle speedometer

I wanted to see actually how fast I was really riding and what my real milage was. My top speed with no wind on flat level ground is 30.4 mph. My average cruising speed 25mph. My mpg is 81 while traveling at 25mph or 80% throttle, and I had a 20 lb back pack on during this ride. If I kept it around 20 mph with no load on my back I am sure my milage would have been better. Running synthetic oil. I'm happy. Bike weighs about 110 lbs. I weight 223 (on a diet and workout regime right now) :D

I put on a bicycle speedometer and found my normal average speed was 25mph, my fastest possible was 30, and I measured my fuel consumed by my odometer reading which gave me 81mpg @ 80% throttle, which was 25mph. The speedometer is neat because it's wireless. You put the sensor on the front fork, the magnet on the spoke, find the rotating diameter to the closest MM and put the readout unit on the bars with no wires. I could put it in my pocket and it would still give me odometer readings.

do you have a smart phone?.... if so, download a gps app and it will tell you your speed.

Engine just died.

I was one block from home and thought I heard something like there was a loose spoke dangling about. Engine stopped running. I got it started and rode half speed to my driveway where it finally died for good. Engine froze. I took the head off and look what was on top of the piston:
IMG00461-20110429-1036.jpg

Both of these little chunks of metal were non-ferrous, a magnet could not attract then. Piston pieces? I have spare engine #2 on my workbench that I will swap it out with tonight and do a thorough autopsy on. Total milage on this engine, 1250 miles.

Well I took the 4 stroke plunge. I ordered a 4 stroke engine kit. Should be fun making it look legit. The challenge is making it look like an old engine, but I am going to give it my best shot. More build photos in the coming weeks.

i would say that is a long way to go on one of those engines. well done but for those thinking of using these engines this dude really knows his stuff and was always messing with it. i think the 4 stroke move is a good one more propper for one of these anyways like you said.

Cant wait to see what you do with the 4 stroke. They may be harder to look authentic but they are torquier, quieter, cleaner and no more mixing fuel is a plus.

The only thing I will need to do to the frame is attach the mount plate and remove the old engine mounts. No big deal there. Runs on the same chain size, on the same side of the bike. So the rear sprocket is fine. I will be fabricating a kickstart device to start the engine because I really don't like pull start mechanisms. I have it all worked out in my head how I'm going to do it. As far as I know I have never seen anyone put a functioning kick start mechanism on a four stroke or two stroke engine for a motorbike kit engine set up , so it will be unique. I am also going to try to implement a CVT transmission. I'm 90% sure I can make it work. I will be stripping off all the forced cooling sheet metal and fan, so it will look leaner. I did research and the cooling ducts and fan are not needed and the engine will not overheat. I just found out my engine may not be in stock at the place I purchased it from online. It may be till the end of May, early June till I get it, so I mounted my brand new spare 2 stroke engine today and started the break in period. At least I will have a two wheeled ride till the new engine comes.

The HauSheng (GX50 Honda Clone) 49cc is only 2 hp stock. The CVT will give it legs.

Update, My 4 stroke engine kit is currently backordered and they estimate 2 months till they ship it to me. Under normal circumstances I would probably ask for a refund and order from another vender but since my bike is currently completely operational with my spare engine I installed yesterday I can patiently wait, no hurry. It gives me more time to iron out the small things before I implement them.

Being the impatient person I am I cancelled the motorbike engine order that was backordered for two months. I came back from Harbor Freight with a 6.5 hp (!!!!) Greyhound 4 stroke engine with a two year (!!!!!) no questions asked unlimited warranty and I got the CVT transmission that I wanted that will bolt right up. The Greyhound is a Honda GX200 clone. This engine is 200cc's so I am glad I have the speedometer on. I have all the power and torque I could ever use and I could put my sidecar on this bike and re-regester it as a scooter. This will be cool. :D

This is going to be great. Needless to say, keep us posted, and pics please.

Latest posts

Back