"Dragst-Her" (Class 1)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do understand the "it's only original once" thought but I think it would be cool if the black out area is painted the same color as the bike. Besides it would look cool and be unique for your daughter to set her bike apart that much more.
That was my original intent. However, when I stare at it and visualize it with color, I'm concerned that the color will lighten it up and change the dynamic of the sprocket.

It's a tough decision, which is why I haven't made it yet.

On the sprocket, I think black, either flat or gloss. I like the color matched idea also, but think they look tougher in black.

You could touch up the chips with Testors and a tiny brush. I think flat black is the ticket. Will pop out of the paint scheme.

Carl.

Yeah th
A few years ago I had the opportunity to buy this Rollfast Top Fuel sprocket. @RailRider will agree with me that I think it's the best looking sprocket in the muscle bike community. He put one on a custom Top Fuel Rail he built years ago, and it inspired me to use it for this build.

I need opinions: Currently the center is painted flat black, but it's got a number of small chips. I have one of 3 option:

1) Leave it alone. Even with chips, it's only original once.
2) Repaint the flat black, even though the edges have a fade into the chrome that will be exceptionally difficult to recreate.
3) Repaint the same color as the bike. (Violet)

bsePOk.jpg
Those are the coolest! Wish i had one! lol ;)

You doin' a solid stack?

Slap that sweet NOS rubber on them wheels and snap a pic! Always like getting the tires on the new wheels.

You doin' a solid stack?

Slap that sweet NOS rubber on them wheels and snap a pic! Always like getting the tires on the new wheels.
I have a solid stack. I'm not sure.

I will. I'm working 12 hours shifts, 5pm to 5am. It doesn't afford me much time to work on bikes except on my off days. I worked all weekend.

To get these done today, I am only getting an hour nap before my 12 hour shift. The rear wheel went wonky when I tensioned it. I think I screwed up some spokes and put a wrong length spoke on each side, do I had to take it completely apart, measure each spoke, then lace it again. So... I'm going to be dying at work tonight.

But... they do look good!

d3ayur.jpg

I've scrubbed and scrubbed and that white residue remains. Does anyone have a good trick for it's removal?

I'd also like to know. I've used lacquer thinner before and it worked decently, it's probably not the best thing for the tires though.

I would leave it on there, I think it looks cool and shows they are NOS!

And most likely you'll mess them up with chemicals, it is old rubber and they weren't the best tires even new :D

I was thinking of pulling them of the rim and trying armor all? But, you're right, maybe a touch of NOS residue will show how special the tires are. The rear tire even smells brand new! I was amazed! They were worth $750 for the pair!

(I'm totally kidding)

Ok, I'm at a critical point. I'm actually building the bike to ensure everything fits and works before it goes to paint. This is critical because, as you may have guessed, this bike was never a 5 speed, and a Twin Stick had never been used on a girl's frame before. So, @RailRider , @rfeagleye , you two are the only two I can think of that have Twin Sticks (anyone else?). The shifter cable and housing I think are going to be fine. I already have the routing laid out in my head, I just need to cut the housing and set the frame clamps. The rear brake, however...

The housing is going to come down the right side of the head tube and enter the barrel shown here in the front.

WKKSpJ.jpg

This was cut out of the original mess. I can't see how this is attached, so I don't think I can reuse it? If I can, tell me how. If not, I think I saw someone using a brake cable clamp from a brake. Is there something better to use?

HL2C62.jpg

What happens after the brake arm? Is there supposed to be a barrel back here that is missing? The opening seems small for that.

dKj4Le.jpg

Latest posts

Back