Gooey Syrup

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the purple better in the indoor shots. It looks so much more purple.

As for the frame it is very stylish but not so much my style. Very swoopy but no rake!

Of course that will improve a little when you put some forks on it and get the pedals out of the dirt.
I agree on the colour indoor/outdoor. I really like that darker tone indoor.

I am hoping to build a black fork and trees/crown to this build. Maybe have some fun with stripes...

First solve the technical challenges, functional and good lookin'

Thanks guys!

Try a downhill fork for this frame. 29" if possible. There would be some drop but not too bad. I used a 27,5" and a tall top crown and I have around 4" clearance.
Thanks for the tip, I did a quick search today, but nothing that matches my budget for this build 😉

I was lucky to find mine for 175 Euro, which while still expensive is still a bargain for a quality triple tree suspension fork.
But there are some Chinese forks that can't really be used for downhill but are perfectly fine for a cruiser and look the part.

I am still on the "custom budget" tour @toro1978 but I appreciate you thinking with me on this project.
What is your buildoff bikes fork leg diameter if I may ask?
This way I get an idea for the beefyness I want to go for with this fork.

So the tomos moped fork thread is slightly different. I ordered a headset for it and found out that the cups are a little bit too large a diameter for the frame. No problem for the lathe, so lets go custom! Even when no one sees it afterwards *sigh* :bandit:

zJKC2jn.jpeg

Handlebar clamps also included!
This was the only picture for this chopper build. I will be behind the lathe in a few weeks again.
I have some really cool ideas for the fork dropouts, requires some extra welding.

Sorry for the sidetrack, but :43:
Lately I see quite some stuff for sale that are just too sweet and have a nice price. They are easy to fix or not popular and people do not pick them up. I obviously do not need it, but eyeballing it for several months and the guy not receiving a good offer... Then I am glad to help him with his "shed cleanup".

xdTIiO4.jpeg

Whats in the box you ask? Something that has cost me 50 euros and its made in Taiwan, not China.

41TN0LW.jpeg

A new frame! It will ride eternal, shiny and chrome.
Just like:
jetS4XI.jpeg

PNe1EUF.jpeg

26" springer that gave me ideas (not my build, but I like it!):

sEndZgB.jpeg

And I found some nice wheelsets! One used and the other brand new. Came off of a Basman bicycle.

sE1DPtB.jpeg

mV6y072.jpeg

x5BatSS.jpeg

According to me wife I need some new shoes, but I mis understood I guess :crazy:

Last edited:
I am still on the "custom budget" tour @toro1978 but I appreciate you thinking with me on this project.
What is your buildoff bikes fork leg diameter if I may ask?
This way I get an idea for the beefyness I want to go for with this fork.

So the tomos moped fork thread is slightly different. I ordered a headset for it and found out that the cups are a little bit too large a diameter for the frame. No problem for the lathe, so lets go custom! Even when no one sees it afterwards *sigh* :bandit:

zJKC2jn.jpeg

Handlebar clamps also included!
This was the only picture for this chopper build. I will be behind the lathe in a few weeks again.
I have some really cool ideas for the fork dropouts, requires some extra welding.

Sorry for the sidetrack, but :43:
Lately I see quite some stuff for sale that are just too sweet and have a nice price. They are easy to fix or not popular and people do not pick them up. I obviously do not need it, but eyeballing it for several months and the guy not receiving a good offer... Then I am glad to help him with his "shed cleanup".

xdTIiO4.jpeg

Whats in the box you ask? Something that has cost me 50 euros and its made in Taiwan, not China.

41TN0LW.jpeg

A new frame! It will ride eternal, shiny and chrome.
Just like:
jetS4XI.jpeg

PNe1EUF.jpeg

26" springer that gave me ideas (not my build, but I like it!):

sEndZgB.jpeg

And I found some nice wheelsets! One used and the other brand new. Came off of a Basman bicycle.

sE1DPtB.jpeg

mV6y072.jpeg

x5BatSS.jpeg

According to me wife I need some new shoes, but I mis understood I guess :crazy:
Hey i spotted those wheels too, great deal

Hey i spotted those wheels too, great deal
I asked the guy a lot of questions because I wanted them shipped and could not inspect them myself. Questions like state of the wheels; are they straight? (no they are round :bigsmile: ) No cracks around the spoke nipples? (I have seen quite some cracks on several rim types, especially the "van Schothorst" rims. And more questions. The guy seems very nice, but he gave me one answer: they are good.
So he ships both sets for a little bit over 130 euros. Not bad, but we'll see when they arrive.

So the guy that sold me the dusty chopper frame contacted me that he has a part from the fork that goes with the frame.

The fork is made of steel, the top crown was lost in his garage unfortunately, but I can fabricate something.
The bottom part of the crown is made of pressed steel and there is a plate welded to that bottom for stiffness purposes. It does not look as good as billet milled aluminum but it certainly is strong!

I will try and gently polish the fork so the chrome will shine. If that doesnt work it gets a layer of powdercoat.

Interesting detail: it is a 1inch threadless fork!

I testfitted the wheels, but maybe I will use an other set, black rims, don't know yet.

aFHI3k8.jpg

EyxenSG.jpg

Lets take it home!!

gZmFtcu.jpeg

IwYvVoV.jpeg

XyOgNLk.jpeg

Stance approved :cool:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. When the kids were asleep, I removed the black protectors and took that thing outside. This purple monster is long!

This Chopper is growing on me, I must admit that.

Tb6lZMm.jpg

Bum8EGP.jpg

gjI2yqr.jpg

I love big bikes and I cannot lie

Last edited:
the forks are looking really good and I would leave those black rubber things off and put something on the frame instead. I just took a piece of paracord and did some coxcombing.
Ooh, thank you, that is a nice idea.

I just had this thought:

Since I started later than the start date of the buildoff, can I still enter the buildoff with this one?
I should have thought earlier about this, I realize.

Glad to see you in the fun this year with the Purple Pavement Eater!

Glad to see you in the fun this year with the Purple Pavement Eater!
Thanks Kingfish and @MattiThundrrr
Can't skip on the fun!

Small updates:

So the earlier Tomos crown idea is in the bin now that I have this fork.
I can still use the 22.2mm (handlebar sized) brackets to hold the handlebars on the top crown that I will fabricate.

And now that I have several wheelsets lying everywhere, I will overhaul/grease them and see if they fit this build.

The wheelset mounted now in the mockup has creme oldschool style rims (Rigida) and a 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub.

The following (brand new!) black wheelset has a unknown brand coasterbrake hub and a nexus "rollerbrake" front hub. Nice double wall rims and 13g spokes.
Even though the set is new, I will put some more grease in the bearings, since manufacturers use grease sparingly most of the time in my experience.
I like em greasy!

dkT8OHI.jpg

The handlebar clamps are held with 8mm bolts. The crown does not fit unfortunately.

5WmuT6q.jpg

Black double wall rims.
OxVsIBL.jpeg

Last edited:
Front wheel is perfect now.

I disassembled the rear hub this evening, just to check the type, its construction and how greasy it is :crazy:

Also checked the chainline and room for tire size.

I am making notes and measurements to design my own coasterbrake hub arm and a bracket that connects the front fork's disc-brake caliper mount to the rollerbrake arm. I can use a strap and drill a hole in the rollerbrake arm, but I like to try and keep it al clean.

This will be a clean build in general, but not show-perfect. Its meant to be ridden and have fun with.

TJIAw0h.jpeg

Black rims do look good with that purple!

ujPeurI.jpeg

Rollerbrake arm tilted and checking measurements.

VkJgC14.jpeg

N3FVCaT.jpeg

Original coasterbrake arm a bit wide.

tlZL4v4.jpeg

JfqqgCQ.jpeg

qDtisZI.jpeg

Chainline check

5P31vev.jpeg

Wait, is that??? Grrrrrease?

Vupuov1.jpeg

Yes it is grease!
CCAi701.jpeg

Interesting: Three slotted and threaded instead of a spring-ring
Tys4npv.jpeg

QwFn0L6.jpeg

Notes
1jLZC8j.jpeg

Rollerbrake arm straight.

Last edited:
BET, you've got your mojo on with this one! Just caught up now since you moved it to the BO.

Glad this was moved over to the build-off! Lookin’ Good!😎
Thanks John!

BET, you've got your mojo on with this one! Just caught up now since you moved it to the BO.
Thank you OJ! I will catch up on your back forty build soon. I read something Monark and Belt drive, sounds really good.

I disassembled the headlight I want to use, checking out the quality, and what I can do with it.
The outer shell is quality, steel, no plastic. I like the vintage chopper looks its got.
Even my daughter of 2 years old helped out for a minute, releasing the steel nut.

I plan to use a small chargeable battery with the 12v lamp.
Just have to figure out and find a small rechargeable battery.

YQqWLwE.jpeg

bHhH6YL.jpeg

izZAwbm.jpeg

AA9M39j.jpeg

L18gIjP.jpeg

Tapping damaged threads. Now M4 instead of an English size.
Dd9H2GZ.jpeg

Cleaned it a bit.

So about the front braking system... You can tilt the rollerbrake arm backward a bit and drill a 6mm hole in there. Add a 18mm distanced spacer and the front brake is held tight. Using the top hole from the forks disc brake mount.
I will cut a piece of the arm (you can see a line vaguely on the picture).

The other options are: Add a round 32mm bracket and spacer.
Or a proper bracket where the arm is held in line with the fork.

Bottomline is; I dont want to damage the fork any further since its chrome is in good shape. And preferably use existing holes.

B6I4rs5.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back