Gooey Syrup

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a coaster brake clamp that I flattened and attached to the disk brake mount:
View attachment 198797View attachment 198798
I have also done this:
View attachment 198799View attachment 198800View attachment 198801
Thanks for the ideas man! Appreciate it. I will checkout what left over parts there are this week and decide my route then. I'll keep this in mind.

I did make some sketches/concepts and notes for the top crown part:

I am thinking to fabricate (or design for a waterjet) something out of aluminum. Thickness varies per concept.

Some measurements and sketches are for the brake arm.

Let me know if there are questions.

Im03yRl.jpg

cyBcJX9.jpg

I think we have the same rims. Are those 65mm Origin8 rims?
Looking great!

Hi bikers,

@kingfish254 I measured 45mm rim width. Could not find a brand though. Still they look good!

I designed a top crown with aluminum as a material in mind.
Detailed description for the picture below:
  • The three main holes for the fork and head tube have an extra slot to put a piece of plate in. This plate won't turn like the M6 screws used for tightening. This way I do not damage the fork and spread the pressure.
  • The three very small cutouts make it easier to (hand)drill and position the holes for the three (grub)screws. I am a lazy mechanic.
  • In the square hole fits a M6 nut. The other holes are shorter and get M6 with a tap. No helicoil needed for strength.
Funny thing is, I sent the waterjet cutter a quotation. He replied within 10 minutes and I replied instantly with a: agreed! 15 minutes later the top crown is shipped :crazy2: that is fast! Faster than this picture upload :happy:

vFt0701.png

What are your thoughts on tires on this build? I am probably going to roll the dice and cram 26x3.0 tires in there :rockout:I do have a slight preference for creme tires. (pictures below: bikes are not mine)
  • Black tires?
  • Creme tires?
  • Black white wall tires?
ve5eRQB.jpeg

AuTRu7a.jpeg

CKsBqRx.jpeg

To do:

Parts list:

Buy:
• 1 inch ahead/thread less headset (1 inch bearing cup missing)
-Mill out thread from a leftover cup.
-Buy a headset.
• Seatpost 1 inch.
-Check out parts pile.
-Junkyard.
-Buy.
• Brake line purple metallic.
• Brake cable (front).
• Handlebars, 22,2mm.
• Tires 26x3.0 (black, white wall or crème)
• Grips.
• Batterybox + batteries for front light.
• Brake lever?
• Saddle?
• Rear fender?
• Chaincover (buy and adapt)

Fabricate:
• Top fork crown (AL 6082 or 7075 waterjet)
• Brake arm adapter. (150 x 49 base)
• Coasterbrake arm (S355 steel lasercut)
• Brake lever?
• Saddle?
• Rear fender?
• 44t chainring?

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on tires on this build? I am probably going to roll the dice and cram 26x3.0 tires in there :rockout:I do have a slight preference for creme tires. (pictures below: bikes are not mine)
  • Black tires?
  • Creme tires?
  • Black white wall tires?

If they will fit, go with the 26x3. That is what I am rolling this year and I love the feel of them.
Cream would look great.

Cream is the way to go! Love your build and especially the way your building and designing. So different from mine, i create it inside my head and start building stuff from anything i have laying around.
Thanks Frankie! I love this way of designing. For my job it is very different, I must take requirements into account and start with a morphologic function overview and slowly work my way towards several solutions. Also nice, but not quick enough for build offs!

The cream/white just looks so good 👍
Thanks Cap, always appreciate your view.

If they will fit, go with the 26x3. That is what I am rolling this year and I love the feel of them.
Cream would look great.
Creme and dimples is this years build off main topic :grin:

I got some time to clean my shed and find stuff in the parts pile. The bike had to move outside. I took a few pictures so you can see the setup so far.

And I found some neat stuff from my time working in the royal airforce. I worked on F16 Fighting Falcon engines mainly, thats were these blades and vanes are from. I wont use these on my bike, but I love looking at the shapes.
I also have MIG can-annular type combustion chambers in the living room.
I will soon take a picture of the MIG21 near my village, maybe with bicycle.

WdYYICO.jpeg

6UU8qmf.jpeg

6nNcBZx.jpeg

Coasterbrake arm idea???

Stuff I dug back up:
vXUrJs1.jpeg

Big compressor blade and a vane.
OnyHsRY.jpeg

Stator vane with cooling holes.

zGO92Mi.jpeg

Cool old sticker from a time where the engines got an upgrade from the F100-200 series to the 220e series.

Below a movie where the engine endures a stall. Big flames!!

Last edited:
This post saved me from being a slacker.

The top crown came in and I started working on the threads for the clamping on the fork and the shaft.

vO195tg.jpeg

jFH4cqY.jpeg

Rsf1pqE.jpeg

Rough watercut edges, needs some sanding.

Kd7Gwp4.jpeg

Tapping M6 thread for the fork legs to hold them legs together :happy:

SCH5KPs.jpeg

Grub screws inserted.

The M6 nut fits perfect and will be held in its walls/confinements. If (for whatever reason) the thread is worn, you can replace the nut.

raKVfK7.jpeg

The top crown. Deburring and sanding + painting left. And the bearing scale for the threadless fork. I just removed the thread in the lathe.

Earlier picture: Testfit on ze bike!

nx84vBA.jpeg

kWChPY6.jpeg

Picture below:
Some thoughts and notes (I make a lot of notes, ideas keep pouring in). I like the "strong arm" coasterbrake arm idea!
Thanks to @Ulu mentioning the paracords, I thought of a saddle with paracords. Don't know if this idea get its well deserved time and I have to skip it, but we'll see ;)

kcOs8KJ.jpeg

Last edited:
Great top plate work!

Thanks guys

The project is going rather slow, but I am happy with yesterdays progress.
Our kids had trouble sleeping the last few days, so being a parent you are extra busy. Yesterday we decided to go extra slow and spend time in our vegetable garden. Harvest and snacking time!
We have a small vegetable garden where we grow some of our own food. My daughter of 2 years loves all the critters there until they crawl in her shirt haha! Daddy can I pick up that spider (everything is fine when she sees them) and when the spider crawls up to her neck; daddy get it off! So funny

6W769Ij.jpeg

BNVc8j6.jpeg

Currants! (aalbessen)
wAaiIAy.jpeg

UkG83qz.jpeg

VKtNmMs.jpeg

Chard (snijbiet)
sOZ7dCf.jpeg

Beans and taters!

The chopper bike:

After the kids were asleep I went on to assemble the headset, bearings and the crown.

My first idea was to paint that top crown part (black and/or purple), but now that I see it on the bike, maybe I should polish it. What is your view on this?
I will certainly paint the bar clamps black or purple.

I made a ‘quick mockup’ with a temporary handlebars and the saddle on it.

I like these bars, but not sure if it fits this build?!? I am thinking low ‘ape hanger’ bars. Or ‘M’ bars.

I don't have one look for this build, I'll just see step by step where I am heading.

Enjoy the pictures and thanks for any input.

z1rOKmT.jpeg

971A6q7.jpeg

0WEl5yB.jpeg

4ViWLzx.jpeg

EDWTAak.jpeg

dsTuWg9.jpeg

6vajZY1.jpeg

NXmHHDU.jpeg

Last edited:
I could def see some ape hangers on this ! As for the top clamps on the bars, paint purple or leave black, you have black springs on the seat, pedals, so there are already black accents in the mix.

I would polish the top triple tree plate to make it match the bottom plate better.

In regards to handlebars, whenever I have seen apes on Nirve Switchblades, they always seem a bit out of place because the top of the bike is so high. If you are going for an extreme look then use apes. But, in my opinion lower bars tend to look better with these frames. Google around for Nirve Switchblade images and you'll see plenty to find the vibe you're looking for.

The bike is looking awesome by the way!

Your idea for a strongarm coaster brake has me excited.View attachment 199535
Duck Norris could flex with one of those!

Thanks Matti! I have modeled this and ordered it. I always know when you get excited, to trust your Frisian/Canadian guts and go for it! ;) I loved that idea too. At first I wanted to 'hacksaw and file' one myself, but there is not enough time for that :whistle: So a 3D model and a DXF file (different type of file haha) helps with that.

I also modeled + ordered an adapter arm for the front brake. Same 4mm thickness, so should not be that expensive.

I could def see some ape hangers on this ! As for the top clamps on the bars, paint purple or leave black, you have black springs on the seat, pedals, so there are already black accents in the mix.
I would polish the top triple tree plate to make it match the bottom plate better.

In regards to handlebars, whenever I have seen apes on Nirve Switchblades, they always seem a bit out of place because the top of the bike is so high. If you are going for an extreme look then use apes. But, in my opinion lower bars tend to look better with these frames. Google around for Nirve Switchblade images and you'll see plenty to find the vibe you're looking for.

The bike is looking awesome by the way!
Thanks guys, much appreciated. I agree with you both; after looking at some images on google and pinterest, this high frame gives you two options: Go high or go low, no in betweens.

I will polish that top crown and go for a purple 'bar clamp' look. I hope there are some spray cans left.

And at first I did not want to ride with an chaincover, but Kingfish's comment on the high bike (and the shape that comes with it) gave me an idea to do something different:

Note: this is just a mockup the chaincover will eventually be seated behing that front chainring.

The frame also looks a bit blueish on these pictures. Could be my phone doing that...

4qq1BRo.jpeg

6fZ6sTu.jpeg

j7lwQXa.jpeg

See my finger pointing: mount it like this, and fabricate a bracket that goes from the 'stand bracket' to the chaincover for stiffness purposes. Or else it will act like a fishtail!

Sandblast it and paint it black. Maybe dimply dimplesses?

I do get tired of al the brackets. Can't wait to ride this thing instead bracketeering.

Sorry for the dry humor :crazy:

Thanks!

Last edited:
I like the flow of the reverse chainguard with the downtube/bottom tube.

Latest posts

Back