Gooey Syrup

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made quite some progress last few days. I ordered tires 26x3.0 from Cruzo, tubes and rimtape. But the REAL question is, which colour setup???!
And ordered a bit of paracord: ACID Purple and a mixed colour called "the undead".
Yesterday I had to go to the store for some home-improvement/odd jobs and got very lucky. All spray cans with quite a variety of colours were 90% off :crazy2:

EEf2Vbs.jpeg

Already posted it on another topic, but I took that photo I mentioned earlier about that MIG jetfighter:
910mClX.jpeg

Dual seat MIG21 near our hometown. It is sitting there at a car company. Its got good brakes, patina'd hull and no rust (but oxidation) and the tires need replacing...

Three things I got physically done or mocked up:
  • BARS: Found a kids bicycle handlebar which is very narrow. I like it with the chopper looks but it sure needs some chamfered end caps in my opinion when the grips are on. I will drastically cut off the tube that normally goes into the fork. I had this idea of leaving a small piece of stem tube left and put a 'skull ring' on there I have lying around for 20 years or so. :39: Other idea is a odometer, but these are probably too large diameter wise. Or just cut that piece off and paint/powdercoat the bars black.

• Speed holes in the chainguard. I kinda screwed up, went a bit impatient with measuring and now the holes are a bit off. I can correct it a bit by filing though. We'll see. I did remove the brackets and rivets and its a bit cleaner now. I think I'll leave the large bracket on.

• Seat or saddle: There was a seat I did not like that much, the leather is dry and sqeaky (is it real leather at all?). So I took that upholstery off by drilling out the rivets and I like the skeleton I see. I still want to try that paracord idea.

Alright pictures, let me know what you think. And ideas are welcome, even though I am stubborn sometimes.

Bars:
YQxZT9Y.jpeg

oGaizA3.jpeg

AIfGg78.jpeg

xVgXof7.jpeg

paZEjcP.jpeg

Chainguard:
CiwzB5Y.jpeg

Seat and its skeleton:
etwzgdO.jpeg

DC3jKaT.jpeg

0ePTnvS.jpeg

z0jTMb7.jpeg

What is a more common word to use? Seat or Saddle? Bumpads or seatpost safety guards? :giggle:

😒 bag of cannons eh. I'm aware of Netherland guys.
View attachment 200436
View attachment 200437

. . .oh I've got ideas. . . thinks I'll keep'em to myself this run😛

I'll be watchin' 🍿
Afraid of competition are ya?
;)
Awesome graffiti art haha, thanks for the effort.

The weekend was nice, had some friends over for fries and some "frikadellen and kroketten".
The weather was sunny, hot, but not too much.

I got some stuff done.
Tires! Creme de la creme.
Came in and I mounted them. The tire walls need some aligning, so I did not put full pressure on them yet.

I did an 'tryout' for the front brake shell. Painted it green. Flakey brakey!
 I don't know if I like it yet, maybe testfit it on the bike later. What are your thoughts on that?

I polished the crown, top cap and assembled it.
Also made a cleaner screw for that top cap.

fKMiBVz.jpeg

3q96xz0.jpeg

zI5zSpE.jpeg

Nxi4ytv.jpeg

xgXQzmm.jpeg

On the right is the new screwhead. Normally used for furniture. I cut off a M6 12.9 steel screw and used it for the nut with loctite 601.

ROZh8Se.jpeg

oFtiByk.jpeg

uQLnTFB.jpeg

Polished crown for her majesty. Not mirror finish, because the chrome fork is not mirror either.

hK3JS0E.jpeg

Key or pressure plate in action. I like it!

hbeJNza.jpeg

Cvd590w.jpeg

Headset fully assembled! Feels very solid! Happy with the result.
Maybe I will change the end caps (black) later.

The handlebar clamps are also painted satin black.

jEgtvGS.jpeg

Paracord is in!

Last edited:
Depending on your tube diameter you can probably use headset caps for the fork end caps.
View attachment 200849 I used some as bar plugs too.
View attachment 200850
Thanks for that idea Toro, I did not consider that before. Love the bar ends with that 'diamond shape'.

The inner diameter of the front fork is 29mm, so maybe a bit too large for stem caps. 1 1/8" forks have and inner diameter of 25.4 generally.
I don't have anything lying around, but will certainly keep this idea in mind!

My other idea was to 3D print something.
One big challenge for me right now is time. Busy at work, family life and starting up my wife's business. That is why I leave (my beloved) hacksaw and file in the toolbox and instead CAD model and laser/watercut or 3D print etcetera.
But enjoying this build-off so far hasn't been that much of a challenge. Especially seeing the other builds and the community.

I am hoping to find some bars on my attic this week and assemble the wheelset, really looking forward to that mockup where it is getting close to the end result.

CAD modelling :rockout:
Xia4yOU.jpeg

Last edited:
I knew I was doing something wrong. I always end up in the first picture. I guess that's why I'm not an engineer.
Hahaha :rofl:
There is no right or wrong Matti

Found two things: Bars to try + a time loop, so did a quick mockup:

Which is your preference? Straight or M bars?
For me, it could go either way. Have to assemble the wheels for that complete setup first.
The straight bars have a cleaner look. The M bars have that slight edge on the riding position.

4I9XbGs.jpeg

rhxHjaO.jpeg

Uvf8eK7.jpeg

fHcsW2p.jpeg

Z7McePo.jpeg

Ug7zWUB.jpeg

I like the ‘M’ bars, not just for looks, also for riding function. Meaning, a straight bar is difficult to get ‘leverage’ when pedaling a stretched frame (although they do look cool).
I think the pullback on the Ms, will make it much easier pedal up inclines and such.
Maybe post a side view or 3/4 view?

I like the ‘M’ bars, not just for looks, also for riding function. Meaning, a straight bar is difficult to get ‘leverage’ when pedaling a stretched frame (although they do look cool).
I think the pullback on the Ms, will make it much easier pedal up inclines and such.
Maybe post a side view or 3/4 view?
Thanks for the suggestion and tips Dr! There is time to ride with both, but I can't decide on looks. Here are some more pictures I made:

2CJ5ohG.jpeg

5FXe8xA.jpeg

PqLB4bB.jpeg

u3B9wys.jpeg

I personally like the look of the "M" bars however........I think they magnify the already modern look of the bike and therefore really make the retro seat out of place

A delicate dance trying to blend the old and new aesthetics

I personally like the look of the "M" bars however........I think they magnify the already modern look of the bike and therefore really make the retro seat out of place

A delicate dance trying to blend the old and new aesthetics
Thank you Captain. This seat fortunately is not going to be used on the bike. This was a placeholder to check the riding geometry and bars.
The seat I will tryout is that "skeleton frame" a few posts back. And if there is enough time, I will see if I can create something with the paracord.

But I do agree on the aesthetic balance, I have cream tires, which already give it an oldschool vibe. We'll see where this build goes!

Who me? LOL

Best I could do on short notice. Felt your color combo.

M bar, for looks, straight for riding. Arms spaced apart on a chop in that position feels sooo right. . . I know;)
M is for Matti.

*Disclaimer: Matti has never ridden a chop.
Thanks guys!

You are welcome to try sometime.

At this point, I will proceed with the M bars. Probably lengthen these a bit for riding position, the same way I did with my 'antique motorcycle' style porucho build.

Also decided to remove the green paint on the brakes and paint them black. It didn't feel right.

HoADiVy.jpeg

bbIb9Xw.jpeg

SDXf2ur.jpeg

M08sdZb.jpeg

wIgYs2Z.jpeg

I like where this is heading, such a strange chopper at first glance... not sure where this will end. The bike will be rather clean, so details and finishing will be extra important.

Next up: Chainguard mounting mockup, brake arms (front and back). Then I will have a rider!

Last edited:
Those tires are cool, and give it more of a vintage vibe to me at least. Do they say 'Carlisle' on the sides? Couldn't quite read it.

I'm imagining some kind of a 'pan' seat on here; like a tractor seat but smaller and thinner. I also like that skeleton saddle idea of yours from earlier. What if you just covered the nose section of the saddle and then left the rear springs, along with maybe adding some para-cord to beef it up a bit?

Keep rolling! Awaiting the ride vid!

Those tires are cool, and give it more of a vintage vibe to me at least. Do they say 'Carlisle' on the sides? Couldn't quite read it.

I'm imagining some kind of a 'pan' seat on here; like a tractor seat but smaller and thinner. I also like that skeleton saddle idea of yours from earlier. What if you just covered the nose section of the saddle and then left the rear springs, along with maybe adding some para-cord to beef it up a bit?

I like that idea of covering the nose section, will take that into account. Thanks Oddjob.

MV5BMWE5MWNjMjQtYjdlYi00OTQzLWIwNGEtMzMwZTRkYTBiYWI2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjMyNTkxNzY@._V1_.jpg

I left the build for a while, watching the tires, pondering on that, couldnt sleep... (that was probably the heat).

So when I should be sleeping, I did a different thing (front tires):
JrJF3DG.jpeg

v7XqmOG.jpeg

The tires came off of this bike (below).
guciI6N.jpeg

I like both bikes a bit more now :crazy2:

They are Cruzo Classic tires.

I like the M bars the best too.
And the tire swap was perfect for both bikes.
Those Project 346 Balloons look great on the purple people eater.

The bars remind me of Speed Racer
GO SPEED RACER GO

1658766524784.png
1658766563377.png

They are Cruzo Classic tires.
Sorry @OddJob I forgot to answer your question. And thanks Toro!

I like the M bars the best too.
And the tire swap was perfect for both bikes.
Those Project 346 Balloons look great on the purple people eater.

The bars remind me of Speed Racer
GO SPEED RACER GO

View attachment 201865View attachment 201866
Thanks Kingfish! I have never seen that movie, getting curious now! I see the "M" similarities with my bars for sure. Pretty cool!

Very happy with the tire swap, its looks a bit more "oldschool cool" for a chopper, at least for me. Maybe @MattiThundrrr was right again? Am I your grease monkey? :grin:

Pictures (and more stories/updates below the pictures)

WnRsPX0.jpeg

Both black balloon tires are on!
np3Fe3n.jpeg

URblZLL.jpeg

SAsmNwL.jpeg

Still working on that chainguard!
The bike and wheels are a bit greasy, have to clean soon.

XRkQWw4.jpeg

Brake cable came in! Shiny and glittery!

I had some delays, my car had to go to the yearly mot (=mandatory) safety check. Right the evening before I had some hours to work on "Gooey Syrup", but the car ran on two cilinders (My car has a four cilinder engine, sorry American citizens :grin: )

And it appears a "Steenmarter" (what is the English word for it?) Has gotten to my wiring loom and Ignition cables.
The car smelled like fire and gasoline while driving. Great smell though! Luckily the repair shop was nearby.
Normally I do all the repairs on my own car, but I trust these guys.

comment_C2iXdhmSDLRuGisbF9Vp6F2pTsfHgHZa.gif

My klunker bike fits in the back and the next day drove to the garage, then cycled to work. When I returned from work, the car was completely checked and running on fours again.

cpgNUH7.jpeg

Ignition cables eaten!

OyTF5h7.jpeg

My car is a Romanian sea container with a Renault engine. Much space and simple technique, love it.
QeRFd6y.jpeg

Ready!

Thursday:
A day off.
Alright maybe today is a good day to wrench and assemble Gooey Syrup......
Nope, got a call from a small farm, farmer called in sick, have to give the animals some food and water. Check the newborn goats.

comment_C2iXdhmSDLRuGisbF9Vp6F2pTsfHgHZa.gif

ku4oWaG.jpeg

7rUxyfd.jpeg

cvUIiVg.jpeg

Newborn goats. Momma goat takes good care of them.

After the animal care, a package came in:

2JyKtN7.png

SNAVRvh.jpeg

B86RHiQ.jpeg

Coasterbrake arm (strongarm!)
And the front "disc to drum" brake adapter.
That bone sticking out of the arm will return in the design. I am not a doctor, but it looks cool for certain.

Awesome :rockout:

Next:
Deburring, cleaning and paint. Then assembly.

Last edited:
Those Strongarm coaster arms look cool.

I had to look up what a "steenmarter" was. In English they are called stone martens. And sure enough, the google image results showed multiple pics fo them chewing on engine components. Maybe you should train the baby goats to hunt them down and headbutt them.

1659037125886.png

Back