LocoJoe's Recent Rides

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride PA Video)

^
^
+1

and where's the '"like" button around here??? :D (liked it on Youtube)

love the video adventure.

Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride PA Video)

Another great video, I "liked" it on youtube. (you're welcome)

As for black bears, they can run for spurts up to 35mph. Most of the time that I've seen them in the wild they just run away. Moms will violently protect cubs yet always tend to leave a big enough gap for you to get in between them. They are great climbers and will follow you up trees. I've heard that if you take the "play dead" advice that many people give that you also may want to soil yourself because the smell will ruin the bear's appetite. Many times just making loud noises and big posturing will scare them off.

Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride (Niagara Falls Video)

Black bears... Really don't know anything about them or how aggressive they were. I can't ride faster than 35mph :shock: . I can ride faster than Nova though :lol: . Would sure have liked to see one (from a distance). I'd probably take the "soil myself" defense if attacked.
Porcupine... We both realized we say it "porkypine". He was in the same spot on our return trip a couple hours later.
Editing... I'd like to do better. More difficult while on the road, short of time and on laptop. I like to get the videos up in a fairly timely manner though. Working on another now.

Here's a video from Niagara Falls our second stop. http://youtu.be/HzX4hs8vEJQ

We had planned to ride a trail around the Buffalo area the next day but it rained so we moved on. While in that area we searched the internet for bike shops. One had "Classic Bikes" in the name. We excitedly drove out of our way only to find this...
P1050531.JPG

Before we left the area we drove up to see Lake Ontario and somehow found ourselves on the wrong side of the U.S. border waiting in line to get back in to the U.S. with no passports. Other than looking like idiots and holding up the line for a while it was uneventful and we eventually were let back in and did make it to Lake Ontario. We've now been to all of the Great Lakes.

Couple stills from Niagara...
P1050445.JPG

P1050404.JPG

Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride (Catskills Video)

Thanks for posting these Randy. :wink:

I gotta say though, outside of the leaves, I think yall have got the seasons and the ends of the U.S. mixed up. You're supposed to be riding down south right now and way up north in the summer. :lol:

It looks beautiful up there...just a little chilly.

Rat Rod said:
Thanks for posting these Randy. :wink:
I gotta say though, outside of the leaves, I think yall have got the seasons and the ends of the U.S. mixed up. You're supposed to be riding down south right now and way up north in the summer. :lol:
It looks beautiful up there...just a little chilly.
Yeah I agree but it's the price we had to pay to see some fall colors. Upper 30s has been the coldest when we'd start out riding.
yoothgeye said:
Did you pass anybody on that trail?
On the Catskills trail? Seen only 3 other people and they were riding. One single and a couple. It was on a weekday. The couple were older and had rented bikes. They were walking them because of the poor trail surface when we crossed paths. Lucky for them they said the bike shop would come and pick them up anywhere on the trail for $10.. This would be an awesome trail if it was a better surface.

I'm about 2 rides behind in posting now I think. We're back to a little warmer weather. Here's our view this morning. I think the guy in the photo stayed last night cheaper than we did.
P1060144.JPG

Finally getting caught up with your trip
Great videos and pics,
Too bad about the "classic bikes" shop

Was that a wild boar you saw?
I know they are raising them locally near the Twin Cities
for some of the more "eclectic" restaurants in Mpls
They say they're tasty...

Sounds like they might have "tune up" the idea of a trail in the Catskills
It looks like you got 60 miles worth of exercise in ~40miles of travel

I once went to a "trail" in Way Up Nort, MN
We looked for the entrance but couldn't find it
Went into the bar and asked, they started laughing at us
They said it was a snowmobile trail in the winter, now it was a bog :roll:

Last picture looks like a beautiful place, even with a low rent neighbor
Thanks for sharing, :D looking forward to the next episode...

Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride (New Jersey)

Thanks Steve for the comments. Don't know about the pig/boar other than he was on a farm. Luckily we've never encountered a trail situation quite as bad as you did.

Here's a video from a rail-to-trail/tow path ride in New Jersey a few days ago. http://youtu.be/O0j0DQ7lUvQ This was a really nice trail.

Couple photos from the ride...
P1050876.JPG

Bike shop was closed so we didn't get to go inside.
P1060003.JPG

Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride (Virginia Beach)

Great Videos as always! The music is really cool.

Glad to see you made it to DQ. :D
And glad to hear you made it back after the storm footage, pretty wild!
Thanks for posting

Va Beach!! You were so close! I'll be ready for the "To Be Continued" tour when you start at the NC border going on down the coast.

Here's where we've been so far. Green are the states we've ridden in. I hate that we didn't ride Maryland while there. Just didn't work out. Not sure what's up for us next. If you go here you can click on each state to see the trails we rode.

us-map.jpg

Oh and the jokes about Hawaii and Alaska have already been done :wink:

At least you got to ride in t-shirts for a part of the trip. :lol:

Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride (West Virginia)

Rat Rod said:
At least you got to ride in t-shirts for a part of the trip. :lol:
Yeah we didn't realize how much we missed the warmer weather till we got there.

Our last ride a few days ago... Wheeling West Virginia on the Wheeling Heritage Trail 48 miles total.

Video http://youtu.be/b6635I93fWA

P1060315.JPG

P1060485.JPG

P1060323.JPG

I've got a couple of questions for you about your trips.

I know yall ride quite often and for pretty long distances (for me anyway). Have you had any physical challenges along the way? Just wondering if you've had much pain or fatigue.

Also, has there been any maintenance/repairs on the bikes that you've had to do on the trip?

Pretty amazing journey as usual. The east coast looks like a beautiful place to ride with lots of history.

Back