LocoJoe's Recent Rides

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride (Virginia Beach)

So is Nova talking to you yet? I missed her helping you introduce the trail.

Rat Rod said:
I've got a couple of questions for you about your trips.

I know yall ride quite often and for pretty long distances (for me anyway). Have you had any physical challenges along the way? Just wondering if you've had much pain or fatigue.

Also, has there been any maintenance/repairs on the bikes that you've had to do on the trip?
Steve thanks for you're interest. I'll try to answer best I can.

I'm 50 years old, over weight and out of shape. I think around 70 miles is the farthest we've ridden in one day. If we're riding out-and-back we generally look for trails that are around 25 miles (one way) max. The bike I've been riding the past few years may not be a perfect fit for me but I like it because Nova found it and gave it to me as a birthday present. Plus it's kinda old school at least for this style of bike.

Physical challenges... since we mostly ride rails-to-trails they are usually not too physically challenging. Occasionally they can be though. Even a slight uphill against the wind for 20 or 30 miles can wear on you especially with a poor trail surface. Occasionally we will ride a non rail-to-trail that is a real challenge (for me). What comes to mind most recently was a couple rides in Colorado http://youtu.be/pDna2id2Oks & http://youtu.be/FVy1O_KsQ8Y

Pain and fatigue... It seems there is always something hurting on me. Mostly though I have issues with my back (not only when riding) and I have to make frequent stops. On a planned 70+ mile ride years ago we were pushing hard to get back before dark and not stopping. My back got so bad I couldn't make the last couple miles. Nova rode on as the sun set while I lie flat on my back waiting for her to come back and rescue me in the truck. The older I get I'm having more issues with the saddle. Won't get in to detail on that but I'm having a hard time getting this newest Brooks broken in even with several hundred miles on it now. I may go back to a saddle that has the split in the middle or cut one in this brooks. We're not out for exercise or to get a bunch of miles in. We're just sight seeing by bike. So the frequent stops work out well for admiring the scenery, taking photos, eating and giving body parts some brief relief. We're generally pretty beat by the end of most rides.

Maintenance/repairs... We've been pretty lucky. I think flats are about the worst we've encountered, at least in recent memory. I've had tires get really bad but they finished the ride and I bought a new set once back at a bike shop where we're staying. This trip after a really rough trail I noticed this which concerned me but I ended up riding on it the rest of the trip with no problem.
P1050805.JPG

Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride (Recap)

cman said:
Pretty amazing journey as usual. The east coast looks like a beautiful place to ride with lots of history.
My Dad refuses to travel East. "Too many people" & "look at the map and all those roads". He's right but he's missing out on the beauty and a lot of our nations history. He prefers Colorado, Utah, Alaska & Idaho :D

yoothgeye said:
So is Nova talking to you yet? I missed her helping you introduce the trail.
Yeah she didn't stay mad long. We had rode off from the hotel in search of the trail head. We each had a different idea on where it was. Both of us being stubborn we took off in different directions. Thank goodness for cell phones we hooked back up. This happens occasionally :lol:

yoothgeye said:
Don't cut the Brooks! I'm your huckleberry! :D :wink:
I did make a few slight adjustments to the seat position during this trip. It seemed to help a little.

Some notes on the trip... We rode in 6 new states(PA, NY, NJ, DE, WV and VA). 2 of those states we'd never been to before (NJ & DE). We also drove through a state we'd never been to before but didn't ride in it (MD). I didn't keep good track of our driving mileage but it was around 4000 miles. We were gone 14 days. Out of all the big cities we've driven in, the traffic in the Washington DC area is the worst. We rode our first tow path. We made a visit to Lake Ontario and we've now been to all the great lakes. There are a lot of pizza places in the N/E. We ate a lot of great local food but I never had pizza. The row houses in the N/E are neat but I can't imagine living so close to your neighbors. The farms in Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York are beautiful especially this time of year.

kind of late on this one, but, I think that was a Vietmanese pot belly pig. A friend used to have one as a pet, It lived in the house with them. Not for me!

Thanks once more for the videos and pictures.

jerrykr said:
kind of late on this one, but, I think that was a Vietmanese pot belly pig. A friend used to have one as a pet, It lived in the house with them. Not for me!

Thanks once more for the videos and pictures.
Yeah weren't those the one's they'd say would stay small and make good house pets and they would actually get really big.

I don't know much about them, but I think you are right.
I just remember being over once and it surprised the heck out of me when I went to use their bathroom. :D
It was bigger than a large dog. :shock:

aka_locojoe said:
jerrykr said:
Yeah weren't those the one's they'd say would stay small and make good house pets and they would actually get really big.

But more importantly, are they tasty? :lol:

MplsCoaster said:
aka_locojoe said:
jerrykr said:

But more importantly, are they tasty? :lol:

People do eat them.

uuuummm Bacon, possibly the only thing better than Bicycles! :D

(sorry Randy, I hope you have a new video to get this thread back on track!)

Re: LocoJoe's Most Recent Ride (Flint Hills)

Congrats to Randy's mom on making the trip.

OK, that looks like a super dangerous trail with some crazy rough looking bridges. I love that there are places like that the safety jerks haven't shut down yet.

What are those cave looking things, one you went into and another grown over?

That snake had recently had a big meal.

About a minute into the video you pass a stone/brick house on the right that is just a shell, the "trail" appears to just be an old road, what's the history of this trail?

yoothgeye said:
Congrats to Randy's mom on making the trip.

OK, that looks like a super dangerous trail with some crazy rough looking bridges. I love that there are places like that the safety jerks haven't shut down yet.

What are those cave looking things, one you went into and another grown over?

That snake had recently had a big meal.

About a minute into the video you pass a stone/brick house on the right that is just a shell, the "trail" appears to just be an old road, what's the history of this trail?
I'll tell my Mother. Thanks.

Yes it's an old railroad bed.
Yes some of the bridges look kind of iffy and like you I prefer they stay that way.

The trail isn't open in its entirety yet just a few segments. Here's a few facts...
Longest trail in the Sunflower State (117 miles)
Seventh longest rail-trail in America
Longest privately-managed rail-trail in the country
Part of coast-to-coast American Discovery Trail
Follows general route of Santa Fe Nat'l Historic Trail
An all-volunteer rails-to-trails project

Here's a recent news article on the trail http://www.kansas.com/2012/06/02/235528 ... g-the.html

The structure made from trees and underground I'm not sure. It was on the Kaw Indian tribe reservation. Whether it was built by Indians I don't know. Here is some info on the building remains and the monument http://www.kansastravel.org/allegawahopark.htm

The cement cave looking thing I don't know. It was actually in the dirt bank where the railroad had been cut through. I assume it was something to do with the railroad. Here's a still of it
P1060699.JPG

Congratulations to your Mom! She was a real trooper to go over some of those bridges :shock:
I'm really happy that you got both your parents back out riding :D

Interesting Facts, Nice pictures, Cool video and music!!
Thanks for sharing

Thanks Jeremy, Steve.
Dad didn't get to ride. He messed up his knee a couple weeks ago and is waiting for it to heal. It worked to our advantage though as he dropped and picked us up enabling us to ride it one way. He also checked in on us midway. While we rode he was out exploring the back-roads in my truck and got a flat tire.
P1060745.JPG

Been thinking about trying some of the Flint Hills Trail myself. Good video. So is it all railbed? Some of what you were riding looked like double track and gravel road. Are there maps available showing the rideable parts?

Back