ORBO Bomber 40 'Special - Done - Forks upgraded

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was going to LBS tomorrow will see what they have before figuring out what one to pick.

Building... riding...
Always in favor of supporting the LBS. Mine kept my racing habit alive, helped us have things like vacations with a second income, and kept me employed the last 10 years of my work career. Now the guys take care of me in my new vice, rat rod bikes! And I bring them new customers in return...

The old guys there know me. One that I relate to, always says, 'It's a sickness' when it relates to taking and putting together old bikes... The young guys, kinda know me, but I don't feel they get it.

But in supporting the LBS' s. The ones that have the parts I am after, I'm all for :).

Building... riding...

Agree on supporting the LBS.
My friend Carrie knows I'll always check with her before I buy anything online, even if it costs a little more.

Stealing the seat plans I had for mountain Warrior for this build instead. And old sprint road seat will be the base of it.

A bit of phosphoric acid...

I love seeing this in the morning.

Building... riding...

Last edited:
Love the diversity of your builds. The sheer rat-isfaction I get from looking at rusty and ratty TorRed and finished / custom knobbie rod look of Bomber 40 sitting next to each other. Seat project, waiting to see that on B-40....:thumbsup:

Love the diversity of your builds. The sheer rat-isfaction I get from looking at rusty and ratty TorRed and finished / custom knobbie rod look of Bomber 40 sitting next to each other. Seat project, waiting to see that on B-40....[emoji106]
I rode TorRed up to Lowe's yesterday. To get the copper paint. Love riding both of these bikes!!

Building... riding...

Spent 20 minutes after work as I was winding down and diverted the seat together with the copper rivets I found. Couldn't find my rivet spreader... used a couple Philips bits and a broken off punch. May have to replace one or two...

Extra tight fitment, had to shoehorn it together.

Turned out decent. Still some trimming left. Will wrap it tightly and let it dry, and wet/dry it a couple times. Its oiled, but not yet waterproof. Should be able to get it to round.

Tried something with the grips. I kike them, but I don't. Gumwall, close to copper. Earth toned, but not metal toned.

Thoughts??

Building... riding...

Thanks. Chimera!

Another pic of the grips, with some sun, from lunchtime.

Building... riding...
That saddle work is riveting...! (sorry, couldn't resist) Seriously, the leather work and the copper rivets...another metal tone finding it's way on to this build. As far as the grips go, I HAVE to like them....got the same ones coming in my parts box from Minnesota later this week!! Picked them up last summer on closeout at our local Bob's Cycle Supply. Had to buy two pair to get 2 of the non-throttle size to fit. Haha! This doesn't surprise me that we have chosen the same ones....so fitting...

Maybe one of you real bmx guys can answer me this... What are the disc/donuts on the grips there for? I have a couple different sets I can use on my build.We also have used them on my son's bmx. But personally I like the look without them better and I see some of them have a line where they can be separated. So what are they for?

Carl.

Maybe one of you real bmx guys can answer me this... What are the disc/donuts on the grips there for? I have a couple different sets I can use on my build.We also have used them on my son's bmx. But personally I like the look without them better and I see some of them have a line where they can be separated. So what are they for?

Carl.
Carl, I was already in college by the time the bmx scene hit the Midwest. But from what I know, the bmx grips themselves with the high flange came out of the motocross scene. The "donuts" which are foam rings with a hole cut in them to slide on the grip up to the flange, was to keep the fore finger and thumb from getting rubbed raw on the flange while standing up and pumping hard down the dirt track or your neighborhood gravel road / city street. Mostly kids just rode bare handed unless they were racing, which is kind of the way it works with most bike riders. So, that's my .02 on the subject!

That's what I was always told they were for, blisters on the sides of your finger and thumb suck.

Carl, I was already in college by the time the bmx scene hit the Midwest. But from what I know, the bmx grips themselves with the high flange came out of the motocross scene. The "donuts" which are foam rings with a hole cut in them to slide on the grip up to the flange, was to keep the fore finger and thumb from getting rubbed raw on the flange while standing up and pumping hard down the dirt track or your neighborhood gravel road / city street. Mostly kids just rode bare handed unless they were racing, which is kind of the way it works with most bike riders. So, that's my .02 on the subject!
Yeah, weird. Why not just leave the flange off? Which was more of what I meant... poor terminology on my part, what's the purpose of the flange?

Carl.

The flange that's a molded part of the grip?
I believe that is supposed to prevent your hands from slipping off the grips when landing a jump.
Falstaff, thou hast nailed it. When landing, the force of the wheels hitting the ground while you are standing would naturally cause your hands to slide forward, or in, towards the center of the bike.

Back