Philly BigBad RatRod LOWERIDE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is when I first got her together and the seat made pedaling IMPOSSIBLE!!!

This is my baby at riding perfection, but I want to get lower (notice the seat)

BTW I built this whole thing from scratch with a trashed fake schwinn that i stripped and painted, I got the tires off of another trashed cruiser and threw the shifting mech on from a road bike I found on the curb. The only new parts are the seat, sissy bar, apes, and grips. Right now im sitting on a bent springer front end, but.... when I put it on the thing looks weird and the crank hits if I turn. I need to wait till next paycheck until I get smaller crank, but I would really like to figure out how to lower the back as well somehow.

Btw, I'm 6'5" 350, and need a big bike to low slow on. This has been my dream for years, I'm glad my life at this point has let me build it.

Real sweet ride... I've never thought about doing gearing on one of my cruisers....
An idea for lowering the seat a bit, yet keeping it a comfortable ride (I'm 6'3" so I know what you mean).
I picked it up here some time ago, I take the bar ends that are added to the end of MTBs, the added part that sticks up.... anyhow....I take one of those and cut off the curved portion , then you clamp it on to the seat stem, and your seat clamps on to the end of the bar. The reason I do this is that it moves the seat back a bit,(an inch or two depending how long you keep the bar). This has the added benefit of lowering the seat if you want to, but it's still a comfortable ride since you are sitting further back...
Here's a a some pics to hopefully clarify...

PICT4655.jpg

PICT4656.jpg

PICT4657.jpg

PICT4659.jpg

The last two pictures I added for clarification purposes, but I love my Banana seats...And I think this looks better on banana seats because the "hardware" is somewhat hidden in the nose of the seatpan...

In the pictures of the Heavy Duti, the seat can be lowered even more than it is now. I had it lowered at one point for looks and still took it on a 26 mile ride in complete comfort...

Lastly, as far as weight,(You said 350) I'm of the opinion that it ADDS support on a Banana seat. As you can see in the Heavy Duti pics, the nose of the seat pan rests on the seat stem, then you have the extra support point where the seat attachment is...
Hope this helps you, Have a great day....

Back