Rat Rod Bikes Build Off #17: Let's Go!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beer…because no GREAT story ever starts with,” me and my buddies were drinking some ice tea…”
Lol we 100% certain of that?
cannabis-drinks-facebook.jpg

@Alan Griffin see the little "dot dot dot" next to "Report" below your post? Click the triangle to access a menu allowing post deletion.
At least that's how it's handled on chrome

View attachment 190831
I use every room in my apartment.......just don't ask how the wife feels about it.

Well that's not going to happen. Besides, it might be ok if you're just disassembling and reassembling, but using a grinder and welder in the living room is frowned upon by the landlords in New Zealand.

Glen.

I’m in and this will be my first build off entry. Cool too because my birthday is on the 17th.

I recently snagged a mint reissue Luxury Liner frame for $25 and will enter it under class 1. It should arrive downunder in a month. I already know what I want to do with it and will draw most of the parts from my stash.
That’s the same frame I’m thinking of building up, wish I’d only paid $25 for mine!🤣

Looking forward to seeing our bikes!

That’s the same frame I’m thinking of building up, wish I’d only paid $25 for mine!🤣

Looking forward to seeing our bikes!
Hey Doc, I passed on the LL frame as the seller thought tossing it in a box with minimal packing was good enough. I understand it was cheap but the freight downunder wasn’t. I’ve had 2 frames damaged in the past and didn’t need to add a third to the collection.

I’m going with this old Trek cruiser frame and Roadmaster fork and fenders for a simple class 1 build.

6662F71B-4A7B-42D9-A411-1809EC989FB5.jpeg

Rat is self-defined by the builder...we are an inclusive forum. Total rat to full custom to stock...it's all okay :thumbsup:.

I would say the most significant factors that effect votes are...
Finished aesthetic
-and-
Amount/quality of work done/documented
-and-
Uniqueness/originality

IMO
That's the sort of attitude that encourages me, and so I bought a beater bike today for parts and inspiration.

It's very uni-sex. not a man's or woman's bike, but in between. I'm gonna clean the dirt off, oil it and patch the flat, but I won't start building yet.
manhat01.jpeg

I know right. I just sold this yesterday. I'm pretty sure Doug has just been waiting for us to finally have another event so he could talk me out of it. Plus he gave the bride away at my wedding and it will get to hang out with Clyde and Caymi and the rest of the cool kid bikes at shows now so... i wouldn't want it any other way. It's a shame I forgot my phone yesterday and didn't get any pictures. I had to hook up jumper cables to my bike so i could honk the horn and turn on the lights.
118190479_3559726094092585_5684080677517849357_o.jpg
IMG_20200822_202651.jpg
31944086_10215836169607601_280083467436294144_o.jpg
vw_beetle_bike_007.jpg

Last edited:
Working on two guitar builds til the bike bash starts... Anybody else looking at their parts bike and second guessing themselves?

Carl.
I’m second guessing the main bike and some of the planned parts choices.

Working on two guitar builds til the bike bash starts... Anybody else looking at their parts bike and second guessing themselves?

Carl.

I have build fever this morning. It was tornadic near my excavation last night so i can't get my dump trucks out there. I have my grandsons RL 140 and my daughters Cannondale here so maybe I'll make it through the day without my bike torturing me too much. I am thinking make this a Ratrod recovery service truck. I can put a 2000 watt generator in it so I can have an onboard welder, compressor air tools etc. Plus i am thinking of mamaking it some kind of hybrid electric and 1600 running watts of power from the genny translates into plenty of "pedal assist" It's just sitting right outside my window taunting me right now. I got to wait 5 more days ? that way I can keep the silly orange bimini top. i am trying to sort out how I could build a class one and a class two. I don't really want to chop up this frame.
rrbo17.png

Last edited:

Carl.
I guess i can finish Lola's bad idea. I think I have everything I needed for it here. It is too close to complete to use it as a scratch build

20220402_161343.jpg

Since I will be in Italy for the first month of BO17, I wonder if I should build my TSP Oldster frame (Italian made) this year. :D

1650928490859.png

Back