RRB BUILD OFF #5 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bighit said:
DNF NOW ALL OF YOU
4829041814_94eddbbb9c.jpg

finishing is futile.
Is bighit getting a big head?

Graylock

Don't tempt your fate silly humans, it's not too late for me to change my mind.
mecha.jpg

Mecha Streisand is next years build. :roll:

I just counted the entries and came up with 129 total. 17 finished but one not to be counted due to entered in wrong catagory (Indian Tribute). So 16 finished. That leaves 113 entries shooting for the deadline in seven days and a couple of hours. I'll finish so that 112 to make the deadline. Like someone said they can't all be sandbagging, so how many are going to finish? I'm thinking the 80/20 rule with a about a 5% tolerance either way with the 15% to 25% in the DNF. So around 85 to 95 entries should be posting their finished bikes this week. That's around 12 to 13 bikes a day! Holy smokes, I don't have enough time in the day to keep updated on that many entries in so short of time. This is going down to the wire and so fun to watch. I hope all of you running out of time will make it. Best wishes and good luck. See you at the checkered flag.

if you look in the finished threads of the past build-offs, I would estimate around 75%-80% of the entries finished in the last two or three days, with that there are already 17 bikes finished as I type this we should see around 100 or so completed. call it what you will, most don't want everyone to see until they're done. I think there's something to that, it seems more suspenseful and exciting to see a few teaser photos, not knowing exactly where things will go, and then have the whole bike only seen in it's entirety at the last minute. the excitement over the completed bike is still fresh in your mind that way. some of the finished ones are going to have to overcome the fact that people will automatically put their builds in the 'I've already seen that one before" category. I notice this at the local car show, some of the most beautifully restored or customized cars hardly get looked at because they're there every week. one thing I will say, it's getting tougher every year to compete, not that it was easy in the past. :mrgreen:
just me thought.

Holding back and then showing your cards in the end can be a little dangerous. If you built a GOOD bike and you've got a steady stream of pics on your build thread, people tend to see all the time and details you've put into it, and fall in love with the bike. They appreciate it a lot more.

interesting twist to my build. I work for the company that provides and loads the fire retardant onto air attack aircraft to fight fires. yesterday I was called in to work fighting the fire in Tehachapi, Ca.. we worked until 9:00pm and I go in at 7:00am this morning and will most likely work until 9:00 tonight. this will continue until they have it under control. I'm not sure how long that will be but I will be pretty tired after a day or two like that so not much will get done on the bike. it's burned around 30 structures so far lets pray it is under control today.
praying.gif

I'm down to polishing and painting anyway then assembly. we'll see, I may fit it in somewhere. :lol:
I'm also going to try to get some photos of the planes in the off minutes. (can't help it I'm a photographer to the end)

Actually, I count 5 days, until midnight on the 2nd. I'll probably need every minute.

quick update then off to work again, we worked til 8:00pm last night, I came home and took a quick shower and was asleep before 9:00 (man did I get sun burned) after 8hours sleep I'm back up and getting ready to do it again! definitely no time for the bike today :cry:
I posted some photos on my site if anyone wants to see. remember I work at the tanker base so no cool photos of the planes dropping the pink stuff you can find those on line if you want.
http://classicbicycles.comuv.com/phpBB3 ... f=40&t=316
here's a shot of a P-2V Neptune landing.
122nb0y.jpg

is there a procrastinators grace period? i'm almost finished, but my pinup photographer can't seem to get her crap together.
it just wont be the same without elvira. :)

Talk about a flood of really sweet finished bikes. :shock:

At one point I thought that a smaller number of bikes would make it easier to vote.

Seems like the quantity may have gone down a little, but the quality went up! :D

bighit said:
134 entered ??? finished
If we get 62 (my pick), I won't have to send anyone handle bars! :lol:

OK, barring another flurry of fires I have tomorrow off so I'll be working on getting it finished. This is a cautionary tale for those of you who thought you could leave it til a little later to get done, sometimes stuff comes up.
All the parts are fabricated, I need to finish the paint and assemble. It will be done tomorrow night but I have a question, since it will probably be dark when I get it done can I start my finished thread and post a proof photo tomorrow night and then post some good daylight photos the next morning? the bike will be done on time I promise. :mrgreen:

I think my date and time may have confused folks.

When the clock strikes midnight on Sunday, August 1st doesn't that technically mean it is midnight August 2nd?

I've received a few questions about this issue.

At any rate...I'm locking it down Monday night, August 2nd at 11:59 p.m.

TICK TOCK TICK TOCK TICK TOCK ( tosses PBR's to all still building, well unless u are a/a then i guess a NOS will do)

Latest posts

Back