☣☢ VerBoten ☠ϟ - Elgin Twin Evanaction Build - Big Butt Strikes Again!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My LBS had a set with tires for sale, except they were the blue, and they were AWESOME looking, good choice
Think you might do an alternate rim tape color??

I ordered them with the white rim tape, so they will look similar to the photo, but with little white bumps in the squares.

I have wanted red wheels with whitewalls on this build and I have never had a kickback 2 speed, so I just ordered a set of 3G 57mm checkerboard kickback wheels in red from the RRB Store.

View attachment 11711
Wow! Those rims are going to really pop on VerBoten...ja wohl! Maybe a dark silver duct tape for your liner color? These will be fun to see with the tires mounted and rolling on das Boten!

Man I dig them rims. I'm surprised you never had a 2 speed kickback. I even have one of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

You need to try my tandem with a kickback, especially as a passenger and I'm the driver, TOO much fun!!!!

I have went through a ton of paint schemes in my head. Tried to narrow it down tonight.
I really like the Rustoleum Satin Heritage Red for the frame.
As far as fenders and accent color, it was a toss up.
Tried out some paints on a scrap fender I have.

Smoked Gray (gloss)
Not really feeling this one
WP_20150708_17_30_50_Pro.jpg

Metallic Pearl Mist (gloss)
Photos aren't doing this paint justice. It's like an ivory color with pearlescent fine glitter mixed in.

WP_20150708_17_33_53_Pro.jpg
WP_20150708_17_42_32_Pro.jpg

Textured Metallic Silver
I bought this to use as a base coat for the Pearl Mist and sprayed over the gray so that I could paint the Pearl Mist later. Well, once I saw just how much glitter is loaded up in this one, it really grabbed me. I think this will be the color of my fenders.

WP_20150708_17_48_31_Pro.jpg
WP_20150708_17_49_40_Pro.jpg

Here is a very basic color test I did using Paint.Net just to get an feel for a red frame

red paint (2).jpg

The red with the metal flake silver will look good,just make sure not to over do it. To much silver might look gawdy.

The red with the metal flake silver will look good,just make sure not to over do it. To much silver might look gawdy.

I agree completely, that is why after looking at it more and picturing the silver glitter covering the large area of the fenders, I have already changed my mind on that part. It just isn't right for this build. Have to come up with another idea.
I am sticking with the satin red though.

Last edited:
I agree completely, that is why after looking at it more and picturing the silver glitter covering the large area of the fenders, I have already changed my mind on that part. It just isn't right for this build. Have to come up with another idea.
I am sticking with the satin red though.
Have you considered olive or olive drab? I for some reason think it blends well with satin red or crimson.

What about satin red it all,and use the silver for pin striping a design or the edges? or the pearl

What about satin red it all,and use the silver for pin striping a design or the edges? or the pearl

Here are the choices I am toying with right now. I really don't think I am going to use any of the silver glitter. It's toooo textured.
Red frame - red fenders - Ivory pearl accents
Red frame - Ivory pearl fenders and accents
Red frame - flat gray fenders and accents

The wheels should actually be getting here today (3G East Coast is only 2.5 hours away, so next day delivery). Having the wheels will make the paint selection easier.

Here is rough all red paint.net mockup
red on red skirts paint (2).jpg

Phew ! I'm glad I'm not the only one with shakey hands using paint.:grin:
And your ideas for the pearl?

I also used the Magic Wand feature along with the Paint Bucket to change color of section of the frame. Found a youtube that helped teach me how to use the Intensity control. It works good enough to get an idea on looks once you zoom out a little.

I also used the Magic Wand feature along with the Paint Bucket to change color of section of the frame. Found a youtube that helped teach me how to use the Intensity control. It works good enough to get an idea on looks once you zoom out a little.
I need to learn the program properly as well...

Played around with a few more colors today and came up with this possibility.

Anodized Red for the frame and flat red for the fenders.
The anodized red would not be textured as shown below. It would actually be a pretty good match to the wheels.
That is the white rim strip that will be showing in the rim checkerboard.
WP_20150709_19_24_09_Pro.jpg

Put the fork back on for the first time since completing the scoop shroud. It really flows nicely with the Evanaction. The shroud grill ridges marry well with the for springs and wing ribs.
WP_20150709_22_35_11_Pro.jpg
WP_20150709_22_35_36_Pro.jpg

You can barely tell because the fenders are black, but I mocked them up on the front as well. There won't be any part of the fender extending into the springer area because I have always felt it takes away from the uniqueness to the fork. Just like the rear fender the duck tail end will be about 2" above the ground.

WP_20150709_22_51_32_Pro.jpg

And I am also pretty sure that I am going to use this chainguard.

WP_20150709_22_50_58_Pro (1024x560).jpg

Back