Chopper X

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A thin piece of brass shim between the bars and the 4 bolt cap would look great!
Just a flat smooth piece of brass peeking thru instead of the non slip on the handlebars.
A guy with some skills could even etch or scribe something on it.

GC.
Thanks GuitarCarl that’s a great suggestion. Really like your swing bike build, had one years ago and would like to get another one.

I think I like the black on chrome look with whitewalls best. Great redirection with this build considering it has a BMX donor frame. I liked the flame saddle a lot also. I'm a fan of fenders and especially chainguards. However this bike looks fine with and without fenders.

So, I just read all 7 pages and looked at the photos in one sitting this a.m. (yes, up early, bus route starts in 30 mins). And I made sure I stuck with looking at everything before I commented. And boy, did this thing ever go through evolution stages!

I liked the green seat with the bare frame, the Vans gummy colored tires and the gum grips with your custom lock on rings to match the seat version. Straight forward, cool 'Euro' look BMX.

Then I got used to seeing the bag on the back, and even the tank on there, and the maltese cross chain ring for a sort of souped up Saab or Volvo look. It started to grow on me. Especially when someone mentioned a green sparkle / metalcast paint for the tank.

When things gravitated towards the more 'chopper ' look, triple tree fork, pad back on the tall sissy, I thought right away, "He has to ditch the gummy colored tires". Turn the page, and viola'! Black with white walls.

Along the way, you introduced the flame saddle. What about, the flame saddle on the current iteration, and reintroduce the maltese / iron cross chain ring? And some black grips with big chrome ends / design. And that tank and chain guard are begging for some graphics....

OddJob, thanks for suggestions and critiques. The flamed seat suggestion really resinated with me, since I removed it before whitewalls, already went in garage and put it back on, definitely contributes to old school vibe whitewalls bring. I like it. I just got some new grips with chrome knobs, so I’m with you on that also. Also agree with tank and guard needing something, not done with painting process yet, that’s why some pics there on and some off. Know I’ve been really fickle back and forth, with addition of the whitewalls
I feel I’m where I want to be for the build, I really like the vans tires but feel they were a large part of what really was keeping me from feeling satisfied with this bike.The parts you mention are I feel the main ones I need to address to bring the build home,

Painted the ducts on the chain-guard today
3FEFAAF9-0649-4AB5-B743-74FB45531F3C.jpeg
E5329AB5-98DD-4962-8537-4D43ACF9BD4C.jpeg
845E4CDC-2457-4060-8547-01099B9DC283.jpeg

Installing the thick narrow white walls really helped me solidify the direction of this build finally, I feel like I am on home stretch now. Want to pinstripe tank, different stem,add short fender,to back, finish sissy bar ornament and then be pretty much done

Really diggin' the grips! Sissy bar cross is cool too. I kind of like it sitting on there as it is. The black seat pad will be a nice background to the cross for all the riders trailing you.

Thought I’d do some work on this build since been focusing on klunker builds, had a little bit of a setback, fortunately I have time. The tank is a vintage bmx tank, mounded plastic like lawn chair. I had reservations as to how well paint would stick. I’d already nicked it and repainted it.I started to think I had grabbed wrong can of primer, have some that’s says “ works on plastic” and some that doesn’t. Anyway this morning I reluctantly started to try to pinstripe with automotive striping tape, and my worst fear happened, it pulled the paint off when trying to lay It down.
9F7DC78A-9AD5-4C44-BF76-8492639BE1D0.jpeg

Fortunately I have time and another tank, so rather than waste time on this one. I’ll be sure to use the right primer and scuff it up good in prep. Probaby need to look into water transfer graphics, don’t really want to risk this again.
5FAC868C-60A8-49C3-9E8A-A417C1ED92EA.jpeg

Any suggestions painting this type of plastic appreciated. Painting in cold weather doesn’t help, but it had cured indoors.

Well I would say that the original coat had not laid down that well, judging by how it came off.

etch prime, prime and paint. I like to wet sand between the primers too. Would be best to let each prime coat as well as paint cure 24 hours. Also once prep is done keep the tank indoors to have it at a manageable temp before anything is sprayed.

Thanks GTR, I did all those things as you stated. This time etched plastic with alittle coarser grade of wet/ dry. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back