DOUBLE NICKLE and DR.T's AUCTION RAT!( pics pics pics!!!!!!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DOUBLE NICKLE and DR.T's AUCTION RAT!(New Pics!!!!!11/13)

I'm for trying out the 24"wheel, as well. Otherwise, I can't tell you how cool this thing is starting to look. The talent being packed into this thing is going to make for one seriously special piece.

I am dumbstruck by the coolness of the head badge, but I wanted to say that I think it looked better without all the black background paint. The graphic design of the logo with the rust splotches is beyond cool. I wish I could have contributed, but it seems like you guys have this thing handled.

Wow.

Re: DOUBLE NICKLE and DR.T's AUCTION RAT!(New Pics & Progress)

herr_rudolf said:
ratrodbike_schets_1.jpg

^ My original RustRocket Deluxe t-shirt sketch.

I tought you'ld all enjoy it, and get the juices flowing to put the thing together.
:)

Crazy good talent there.

Lonewolf said:
I am dumbstruck by the coolness of the head badge, but I wanted to say that I think it looked better without all the black background paint. The graphic design of the logo with the rust splotches is beyond cool.

I kinda agree...
BUT,
We have to keep in mind that the pic of the black paint is a terrible one. (Terry said himself... ;-) As I recieved the pics at various stages of the process I too was blown away by the one without the black. But I've always prefered these things WITH the black background and think that without the black it looks kinda naked... And more importandly, the black in combination with the other colors ties it up with the original t-shirt design.

Cool that 'you got it'.
The 'rusted' logo, I mean...
8)

After looking at the inspiration again (for like the 5 millionth time). I see what you're talking about with the rake of the bike. I've got a question about 24" tires, are they all the same diameter, or are there goofy 'Schwinn' sized ones like on 26" tires? I ask because we'll need to get a slick for the front, what do you think about this one? It's a 24 x 1.75.
124.jpg

Since it's labeled as a 1.75 and not a 1 3/4, I think it would fit on the rim we already have from KOTA.

Cheers!
Dr. T

It will fit on the rim I sent......BUT It will be a little more narrow, than the 2.125, and the "overall" diameter will be slightly less.......If you would like the fork bent even more, send it back to me and I'll return it. I have a 24x1.75 wheel combo on another bike to use for measurements. You guys are COOL!

You can have the bike sit like this one http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff18 ... 01-251.jpg The fork would not be bent to that extreme, that fork is from a 27' road bike........That's a 24' up front, 26' on rear.

I'd say, for the moment, throw on the tire/rim combo Kota sent. Just to see if the overall look works. Worry about the thread afterwards. I thought it looked perfect with that bent fork. And try that with the 24" AND 26" you already have. Take pics and show us the differences. If you've got the time (and energy) ofcourse...

Man... that rack, that bent fork, perfect handlebars, a genuine brooks seat...

I really can't wait for the december 1st beauty-shots! The bike is allready awesome but I hope you get all you need before that date...

@Kota.
I should've known that green bike was one of yours... One of my favs... I did not notice it has the basic form and shape the auction rat is growing to. The rake of the bike, the rake of the rack... It's almost eerie.. But I didn't know you've used the 24"front-26"rear combo. Very subtle... Almost not noticable. And it's sitting perfect! Everybody, look at that bike. We all can learn something from that!
8)

@ Kota
I hope you don't mind :oops: but I went looking for your bikes and thought with a little photochopping it'ld be easy to turn your bike into the auctionrat. I mean... how I have got it in my mind:

Here's your original and next is after my cut'n'paste job:

kota_chop.jpg

^ 26"rear and 24" front. If the Auctionrat becomes just as cool as this one, it'ld make me a VERY happy man!

And I like the fork you did for the auctionrat even better...
8)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Do I mind?....I'm very flattered. :oops: As a matter of fact, I just SAVED the pic you photochopped..One thing I've learned from this...DON'T SELL YOUR FAVORITE BIKE! :lol:

DN, Dr T, you guys are doing a GREAT job. There is no better way to honor this site, and I'm glad I could be a "small" part of this.

After looking at the inspiration again (for like the 5 millionth time). I see what you're talking about with the rake of the bike. I've got a question about 24" tires, are they all the same diameter, or are there goofy 'Schwinn' sized ones like on 26" tires? I ask because we'll need to get a slick for the front, what do you think about this one? It's a 24 x 1.75.

According to Sheldon Brown (RIP) there are at least 5(!) different sizes labeled 24", so some research is in order. At least it is not as bad as the 26", with at least 6 variants that don't interchange...
http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
Very useful article, I check it often.

right now we have it planed to get together tomorrow night to try the 24 inch

Double Nickle said:
right now we have it planed to get together tomorrow night to try the 24 inch

That's terrific guys! Thanks for all the time and energy you two are putting into this. Be sure to try ALL tire-combo possibilities. You may be surprised... Ooh, and take pics for us will ya! :D

By the way...
Wouldn't it be great to use the left-over donated parts to use (or trade) for next years auction rat?? I hope Double Nickle and Dr. T. set a new trend and that someone will stand up next year to take over the torch from them to build the 2nd RRB Auctionrat. Unless DN Dr. T want to do it again ofcourse. 8) I'd be happy to do the designwork again. (just to give a direction ofcourse, cause the parts eventually will make the rat).

Oh, and the auctionrat topic is the most RRB-dedicated of all, so it should recieve a sticky to stay on top. Or even it's own chapter.... imho ofcourse. :wink:

What do you guys think of this?

I like the idea of an annual Auction Bike, whether we do it....I think it would be cool to see other guys team up on them. Kinda how the New Belguim Fat Tire bikes are Electra one year, Schwinn another, then Felt...

As far as leftover parts, we'll probably contact the donor to see what they want to do. One memeber has already OK'd us to put his part in the 'Pay it Forward' section once we finish.

OH! By the way, I received your envelope yesterday! Cool stuff! The magazine, the patch, the buttons, etc... They are going to be a GREAT extra prize for the winner. I think I'm going to wait to post pics of them until the auction...anticipation, no?

I'm going to try to paint the chainguard with the masking decal this week...stay tuned...

Cheers!
Dr. T

Well me and DR.T couldnt get together and work today but we plan to sometime this week. The thick brick will be in next monday so that sould put us on a strait track to the finish line :D

Skipton,
Yep, it came in yesterday.
Got in a little late last night, so I didn't post.
One thing I'll need some help with, the light uses a sealed beam bulb so i'm not quite sure how I'm gonna adapt it. I'll take some pics and post them tonight.
This light is so cool, I want to make sure I don't screw it up.

Cheers!
Dr. T

sealed eh? may have to cut the lens off the bulb and make a reflector... :roll:

Yeah....That's what I'm a feared of. Got a diamond cutting wheel for my Dremel, will that work?
Then I'll need to come up with a reflector cone. Fun.

Latest posts

Back