Rat Rod Bikes Build Off #17: Let's Go!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Old Gun In The Bike Trick...

For all you Get Smart lovers, here is the list of our favorite "Tricks" (which by the way, is all of them)​
The old picture-in-the-keyhole trick
The old spy-in-the-dog-suit trick
The old finger-in-the-gun trick
The old time-bomb-in-the-roll trick
The old shoe switch
The old gun-in-the-peg-leg trick
The old gun-in-the-rabbit trick
The old lighter-in-the-gun-in-the-rabbit trick
The old secret-panel-in-the-bookcase trick
The old false-neck trick
The old gas-bomb-in-the-horoscope trick
The old gun-in-the-hand trick
The old pistol-in-the-hammer trick
The old bomb-in-the-snack-truck trick
The old gas-mask-in-the-false-nose trick
The old beeping-button trick
The old backdoor-to-the-alley trick
The old gun-in-the-crutch trick
The old double-agent-with-two-faces-in-the-twin-locker trick
The old gun-in-the-camera trick
The old Wilbur-in-the-drape trick
The old hideout-under-the-car-wash trick
The old tinh-tape-recorder-in-the-trailer trick
The old gun-in-the-flashlight trick
The old microphone-in-the-squeegee trick
The old bug-in-the-rug trick
The old three-way-gun trick
The old Kaos-killers-dressed-up-like-cops-in-order-to-follow-Control-agents-and- old-army-buddy trick
The old Pusa-pat-a-cake trick
The old gun-in-the-maestro's-baton trick
The old Maxwell-Smart-silhouette-on-the-window-shade trick
The old false-hands-in-the-chain trick
The old hacksaw-in-the-belt-buckle trick
The old bulletproof-cummerbund-in-the-tuxedo trick
The old inflatable-head-in-the-cloak trick
The old remote-control-self-propelled-spinning-doorknob trick
The old long-playing-high-frequency-ultrasonic-stereophonic-strike- the-match-against-the-sounding-board trick
The old sleeping-foot-powder-in-the-shoe trick
The old communications-equipment-in-the-French-bread trick
The old Chief-in-the-brown-beard-and-wig trick
The old poison-needle-on-the-phonograph trick
The old double-door-deception trick
The old airplane-in-the-haystack trick
The old flat-iron-in-the-hot-coals trick
The old drug-his-prunes, fake-the-fight, ransack-the-apartment, and switch-places-with-the-Admiral trick
The old mortar-in-the-rock-on-the-fourteenth-hold trick
The old sever-the-cord-of-the-lamp trick
The old check-the-baggage, take-out-the-insurance, page-him-to-the-phone, spin-the-booth trick
The old fake-fingertips-on-the-fireplace trick
The old pestle-and-the-mortar trick
The old bomb-in-the-bonbon-box trick
The old bug-in-the-towel trick
The old Professor-Peter-Peckinpah-all-purpose-anti-personnel-Peckinpah- pocket-pistol-under-the-toupee trick
Wowzer

Murray Strato Flite you say...
Spaceliner dressed up funny. But cool you've got the tank. Some nimrod stole the tank off my Spaceliner before I found it. I see you have the cool UFO tail light too.
Mines just hangin' in the garage waiting, I thought about tearing it down but we've got a ridiculous amount of build time. So it'll wait. Flightliner donor is chillin' below.View attachment 190428View attachment 190429

Carl.
I had to pause at this photo when scrolling through everyone’s ideas. I said “woah, I don‘t remember posting a photo of my bedroom.

After a week of soaking and scrubbing I got the aftermarket rubber blocks off one of the pedals. I had to use my cordless drill and all my weight to get the screws to break free. The rubber just crumbled when the metal retainer was removed. Lots of rust pits on these old components. I still can’t budge the pedal dust cover. I’m hoping to rebuild them. It’s pretty buttery, but I like to replace bearings on this old stuff. The other pedal is still stuck stuck on the crank, which is stuck in the bb. I hope the races aren’t brindled and rust pitted on the rest of the bike. The bars are pretty pitted. My other bike of a similar vintage had holes rusted through the bars. The hole on this pedal cage had a nut and bolt that held the rubber blocks.
AD9152B0-C756-42D1-9020-7B9F465DFF3D.jpeg

B. G. J & Co, Bridgeport Connecticut, whoever that was.
0887906F-D870-41AE-812A-697137C897B0.jpeg

Last edited:
Or a Tandem Trike :D
I built one from a Schwinn Twinn and a Schwinn 3 wheeler rear unit years back with my brother. Black and lots of chrome pieces.

Just a tip man.

You will need more than stock bicycle chain. We broke the first one in about 10 feet. I cut one from garage door opener chain and that is all I use for chain now. Even the BMX kids couldnt break one of my chains. I made lots of chains for kids around town at no charge as long as they brought me the bike
This chain will work on up to a 10 speed or (maybe) a 12 speed older bike, it is 1/2" pitch by 1/8"

I lied. There are two tips

After the chain problem was solved the rear section rotated in the frame. We welded braces on both sides of the braces by the axle similar to upside down brake arms and used good quality brake arm clamps to clamp the arms to the frame above the chainstays on each side.

Oops, lied again.

If you use a Schwinn style springer you will need an inner spring as well, an old automotive valve spring was our choice because I had some. I have recently found a chrome spring that works, so I put it somewhere safe in case I need it. (Code for I lost it again).The weight of the bike will bottom the fork out with one rider so two would be a disaster movie in slow motion.

We also built a cool Tandem Mountain bike from a former Tandem Ramp Jumping Championship Bike for the failed sports of Tandem Mountain Bike Racing and Tandem Downhill Racing. That was a good way to have Traction.
At least for 3 to 6 months.
Rob

Hey, I am new to this. Is this like the one that just finished as far as builds. For instance I have been collecting parts for a musclebike custom. I was saving it for Winter MBBO Musclebike class but the parts are almost all here and I am a little impatient sometimes.
If it would be better off in the Winter Build off I can save it and do another bike.
Rob

Hey, I am new to this. Is this like the one that just finished as far as builds. For instance I have been collecting parts for a musclebike custom. I was saving it for Winter MBBO Musclebike class but the parts are almost all here and I am a little impatient sometimes.
If it would be better off in the Winter Build off I can save it and do another bike.
Rob

This is THE main annual RatRodBikes Build Off, and it starts tomorrow. You'll find all styles of builds in this build off, so a musclebike custom would be perfect. Join in the fun!

Gee, I had the Matel radio-rifle when I was 10 years old. I didn’t have the pistol but I did have a Batman periscope that was just awesome.

It wouldn’t be allowed to sell either of those things today.
I have a vintage Marx Shooting Gallery with an electric machine gun built into it. Probably still works with batteries replaced.

I saw a Marx Machine gun like we played Army with as kids. Some Libweenie Karen saw the photo on a forum and started screaming like Luke Crywalker about how dangerous it was and how many people were killed by that childs toy.

IT. SHOT. FOAM. BALLS.

And people wonder what's wrong with the world today?
As kids we played Mumbletypeg, a knife game where you threw a knife at the ground to see who could get the closest to another players foot.
Its amazing we lived to reproduce.

This is THE main annual RatRodBikes Build Off, and it starts tomorrow. You'll find all styles of builds in this build off, so a musclebike custom would be perfect. Join in the fun!
Thanks man. I believe I'm quite ready for another adventure!

Wut?

OMG . . . youtube search begins . . .
I wish I couldve done a YouTube Video of these kids that were jumping a pretty good sized ramp with the tandem now own.
That was probably 2008, and I only had a dumbphone then. Probably the 2nd or 3rd attempt the old Huffy drop center wheels went pear shaped and they pushed it home.
I tracked them down one day and asked, they said it was their Grandfathers bike and their parents gave it to them.
I bought it for $25 (2008 dollars). Unfortunately they tore off the original chainguard and lost it. I finally got a Western Flyer (Huffy made) guard with a started but nonfunctional Tandem Mountain Bike.
I used some of that to repair the Ramp Jump Championship bike to as original as it could be.
With some manipulating we turned the Flyer into a 14 speed Tandem Mountie that was a surprisingly fun bike to ride the bike trails thru our town, hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of riding space that is better maintained than our streets.
Incidentally the trail project wasn't enough so the Twin City Spandex Patrol pushed to commission a project to further screw up our roads by cutting lane sizes, therefore allowing a 4 lane street to have 4 lanes plus 2 bicycle lanes. Just to kick us carbon producing Devils one more time they maintain the bike lanes attached to the streets better than the streets they are attached to. We have to yield to the cychomorons that ride across busy streets without even looking to their left and right first.
Since their parents were crackheads that never taught them any bicycle safety tips they have to be nannied and protected from themselves by a group that specializes in just that.
The Illinois Government.

Last edited:
Hey @Oldbikeguy1960 , we all have opinions and politically related thoughts on various subjects that may or may not be borderline related to bicycling in general.

We try to stick to fun and creative ideas and suggestions towards building custom rat rod bikes and related topics on this forum.

The last few years I have entered and never finished. With so much going on and losing my mojo. Again I am moving,but need to be out in a mth times...I invested in a campervan, and have a new location for my workshop(aka my old stables)(still need a floor and roofing) I have work and income this time,so a step up from last year. And all the parts.Time is the real thing... Poor Butterball Bandit is still sitting the way I left it last year.
So if it is allowed, I would like to re-enter Butterball Bandit. All it is is a chopped frame. Any objections?

Attachments

• 1651383111717.png
    1651383111717.png
    1,008.9 KB · Views: 29
If we can't use a bike we've previously wrenched on than we're all out... You know how it works kiddo, no finished bikes... It don't sound finished to me. But I am not a moderator...

Carl.

Latest posts

Back