Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. plankowner

Unbelievable... (Day) Dreams do Come True!

So we all have our "honey holes" where we maybe found a bike or two, a place where we go back to every once in a while because we found something special there in the past. Mine happens to be a resale shop not too far from where I work. It started years ago when I went in and pulled a Schwinn...
  2. plankowner

Best Internet Find Ever!!!!!! A Pair of Freestylers!!

Get this, for only $55.00 shipped to my door! I could not believe it, still don't! :shock: I was perusing the ol' interweb looking at old school Haro bikes and in some small dark corner I came across these: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I mean seriously,could...
  3. plankowner

Pair of Thrift Store Choppers...

I picked up a couple of choppers from a new thrift store that just opened up this past weekend. Got the pair of them for $50.00. I've had a couple choppers in the garage before but for some reason, I never kept them and haven't regretted selling them as of yet. I'm a BMX guy, so that may be why...
  4. plankowner

Unknown Muscle Bike Frame

I never do this right. I know I should take and post pics throughout a build but let's face it, there wasn't much building happening here. I saw this frame on Craigs for next to nothing so I went and scooped it up. Came with forks, handlebars, a rusted out sissy bar and seat. Also had a seized...
  5. plankowner

1994 Marin Palisades Trail MTB

Found this today at a DAV Thrift shop. $44.00 out the door. I know nothing about Marin brand bikes other than I only see them at the bike shop and not the big box stores. Only thing it is missing is the stem cap that hides the pinch bolt and the left hand shifter cover. The seat is not stock...
  6. plankowner

Original Stingray Frames....

I met a guy in a town close by to me for a set of BMX mags. Met him through Craigslist. In conversation with him, turns out he has a massive collection of Schwinn Stingray bikes and parts. He showed me picture after picture of bikes and parts. His father had amassed a huge collection for years...
  7. plankowner

Need Help from the Haro Experts......

A co-worker's wife does the whole storage locker auction buying thing much like storage wars. In one of her locker wins was this bike. She apparently tried to flip it on Craigslist for $50.00, then $30.00 with no takers. He brought it in to work and gave it to me knowing I'm into BMX bikes. So...
  8. plankowner

Men's Free Spirit 10 Speed + Nishiki Mixtie Thrift Finds

Picked up this fairly nice Free Spirit 10 Speed at a local thrift store not so much for the bike but for the cool accessories on it. After cleaning up the bike, turns out it's a pretty nice one. Rides smooth and shifts very well. Only thing I had to do was replace the tires and tubes...
  9. plankowner

Is your Target clearancing bikes yet?

Around here, most of the big box stores begin to clearance their bikes in September so they can bring in the new stuff for Christmas. I'd been keeping my eye out at Target because they have a 24" Tony Hawk BMX cruiser that my youngest son liked. Priced at $159.99, I couldn't see flipping the...
  10. plankowner

What's the Starngest Offer You received via a Craigslist Ad?

All or most of us here have posted a for sale ad on Craigslist from time to time. I myself have sold lots of stuff on Craigslist over the last 4 years. Mostly bike stuff. We probably have all seen the typical spam and the "I'll have my assistant arrange for a pick up blah blah blah." Recently, I...
  11. plankowner

1979 Huffy Pro Thunder 3 with a Twist.....

Here are some pics of my recently completed Pro Thunder 3. I picked it up off of C-List. It was a basket case but it was the right color for what I wanted. I had one of these as a teen, cut grass for 2 summers to get it. I did the checkerboard pad thing and some other "trendy at the time" things...
  12. plankowner

MAG Wheels..... How can I get the Hop out??

I recently picked up a set of GT mags on Craigslist. I brought them home, pulled them apart, cleaned and re-greased them. Once I reassembled them and put them on my sons bike, I took it for a ride. The rear mag has a horrible hop in it! Both mags are as straight as can be but the rear hop is...
  13. plankowner

Need Help ID'ing some BMX Forks.....

I'm not even sure if there is a way to ID or date a set of BMX forks but I wanted to give it a try. I know there is quite a wealth of knowledge on these boards so what better place to ask? :D The forks were on a Big Box store Next brand BMX bike but I'm pretty certain they are not original to...
  14. plankowner

Schwinn Sport Tourer.....

Date code MHXXXXXX.... Not to sure but I believe early 70's..... Fairly certain it's no longer original however I know next to nothing about this bike. Was listed locally on Craigslist for $90.00 but I brought it home for $60.00. Bars I believe are not stock. Lots of Bontrager parts on this. Guy...
  15. plankowner

Couple of GT's and a F & F Set.......

Picked up a 90 something Performer for my son off of Craigslist. The seller had it listed for $45.00, needing only a chain and tires. Half way there to meet the seller, he calls me back and says he was offered $50.00 for it and said if I wanted it, the price is now $50.00. That kind of stuff...
  16. plankowner

Skyway Mags / IRC Tires... What would you do?

So the Skyways are not so fresh finds but the IRC' tires I just picked up in trade. The Skyways have what I term as oxidation heavily coated on them. You can see in a couple of the pics how they clean up. The front wheel clean side took me about 90 minutes of serious scrubbing. And it's not...
  17. plankowner

$20.00 Bianchi Alante (Thrift Store Find)

Found this today at an out of the way Thrift Store I ran across while out shopping for Mother's Day gifts. I know nothing about this bike or brand but do believe that it is a pretty decent brand. I'm a BMX guy through and through but knew I couldn't leave this behind, especially with only a...
  18. plankowner

1st Restoration Attempt

Here's what has been chosen to be my first full restoration project. I chose this because if I mess it up in the end, it won't be a financial letdown. :D I've done quite a few resto-mods on bikes but wanted to restore one to it's original "glory." I'm hoping for some tips and tricks from the...
  19. plankowner

Columbia Freestyle 9.5

Here's one of my project bikes I've been meaning to get too. Picked it up off of Craigslist in a nearby town for pennies..... I am going to attempt a full restoration on this bike. It will be my first restoration vice resto-modification. I figured I should attempt it on a less valuable bike in...
  20. plankowner

Schwinn Scrambler Find

A fresh find of sorts..... I kind of forgot I had this in the garage. Cleaned out the garage today to get to the clean up from Irene and "found" this all over again. It was a Craigslist purchase a few months ago.
Back