BUILD OFF #6 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lots of factors and like said different people vote for different things. my bike this year wont be very ratty once painted and pinstriped. but it is a rat for sure

Hi, I'm the newbie to the list, so this may be a redundant question - Do you guys do this every year? I just started collecting parts for a bike build, but am living in China for work so the actual build portion of it will have to wait until January when I get home. The frame is a 1938 Elgin Oriole, but you'll have to wait for the build to see the rest.
Also, I'm restoring a couple of vintage Ducatis (one is a 1949 Cucciolo - a bicycle with a 48cc single bolted on - that could be of interest to the group.
Anyway, glad to be here so I look forward to seeing what happens on the site.
Eric

A finished bike section??????
Already? To qoute Kyle..............Really????
Well I guess all these bikes need a place go. :wink:

erock5000 said:
Hi, I'm the newbie to the list, so this may be a redundant question - Do you guys do this every year? I just started collecting parts for a bike build, but am living in China for work so the actual build portion of it will have to wait until January when I get home. The frame is a 1938 Elgin Oriole, but you'll have to wait for the build to see the rest.
Also, I'm restoring a couple of vintage Ducatis (one is a 1949 Cucciolo - a bicycle with a 48cc single bolted on - that could be of interest to the group.
Anyway, glad to be here so I look forward to seeing what happens on the site.
Eric

Yes.
But could you hold out for so long..? When you get back in January you'll have to wait untill May to start the build.
...Or you could just build another one. 8)

Welcome!

bighit said:
My build this year was last years Plan B so talk about Sitting on an idea for some time.

I think the builds have gotten a lot tighter this year. The winner is going to look like it came from the factory like last year, or I could be totally wrong.

Well in that case, I'm getting my Electra pinstriped and changing my entry to that! :lol:

KOTA said:
bighit said:
My build this year was last years Plan B so talk about Sitting on an idea for some time.

I think the builds have gotten a lot tighter this year. The winner is going to look like it came from the factory like last year, or I could be totally wrong.

Well in that case, I'm getting my Electra pinstriped and changing my entry to that! :lol:

And I can just enter my new Mongoose bike that I pulled the decals off of, it looks factory fresh... still smells like China.

bighit said:

Why didn't anyone make this bold? :)

lets see what we got...

O/G paint or black spraycan...check!
mismatched brand parts...check
old stuff... check
new stuff...check
homemade ghetto bonnie disks... check
shiny but pitted chrome...check
worn/missing seat covering....check
cheap tires with hand painted RWL's..check

not only does it meet the MY rat criteria, it kicks its ... .... :roll:

4827805121_e17316fb77_b.jpg

scrumblero I think they just see all that clean un rusty mettale. with the un chiped flat black paint. it dose look cool but I can kinda picture it as more a new bike on a show room floor. just do to it's so cleen! but hey theres rusty flat painted Rat Rod's and room for clean no rusts shinny show Rod's to! :wink:

Hello fellow ratrodders

I was thinking it might be interesting to give each person more than three votes this year.

There are two reasons;
a) I certainly have more than 3 bikes that I'd like to give my support to when the time comes.
b) It might also make it more than a two horse race.

Maybe five votes each?

What say you?

Cheers Jonnie

druggedonions said:
Hello fellow ratrodders

I was thinking it might be interesting to give each person more than three votes this year.

There are two reasons;
a) I certainly have more than 3 bikes that I'd like to give my support to when the time comes.

Maybe five votes each?

What say you?

Cheers Jonnie

Haha...
And then what will happen next...? The next guy wants 10 votes each, because he has a bigger problem of making up his mind. Followed by the guy who want's more votes for different categories.

I think the voting is far from perfect, but still pretty much okay. If there was an option to change the voting, I'd say give us one vote each and the impossibility of voting on your own bike.
:wink:

herr_rudolf said:
druggedonions said:
Hello fellow ratrodders

There are two reasons;

Maybe five votes each?

What say you?

Cheers Jonnie

Haha...
And then what will happen next...? The next guy wants 10 votes each, because he has a bigger problem of making up his mind. Followed by the guy who want's more votes for different categories.

I think the voting is far from perfect, but still pretty much okay. If there was an option to change the voting, I'd say give us one vote each and the impossibility of voting on your own bike.

"OKAY"
Is this a hint of the color you've decided for your bike????

Just Curious....

herr_rudolf said:
Haha...

It's not a case of making up my mind. I'll do the same as I've done in previous years. Just wanted to give my appreciation to more than three builders.

the only change i would make to the voting would be to go back to one vote each. thats it and all u get pick your fave and thats it. or to break up the neck and neck deal figure out how to set it up so when each person picks their three bikes they can do 1st 2nd and 3rd and first gets three points second two and third one. i dont want to stir the pot on this just typing out loud

druggedonions said:
It's not a case of making up my mind. I'll do the same as I've done in previous years. Just wanted to give my appreciation to more than three builders.

Ah okay. :)
I wasn't really aiming at you but at what you were suggesting I guess. Every year there are quite some people saying they can't make up their mind. To them I just want to say: '...If picking out a winner is too difficult, then... don't vote...'

But you do get the point I was trying to make? More votes each isn't going to help the already feeble voting system we have been using. For giving my appreciation to all the bikes I like and love I just leave a comment with my appreciation in it's buildthreads.

karfer67 said:
the only change i would make to the voting would be to go back to one vote each. thats it and all u get pick your fave and thats it. or to break up the neck and neck deal figure out how to set it up so when each person picks their three bikes they can do 1st 2nd and 3rd and first gets three points second two and third one. i dont want to stir the pot on this just typing out loud

That's exactly it.
Personaly I don't have a problem with the voting the way we do for at least the last couple of years. More vote's will only taint the number 1 spot. And let's be honest... In the end, in a build-off competition like this the only thing of importance is that number 1 bike. True, a lot of bikes don't get a lot of votes, if ANY. But that is nothing to be ashamed of. So what,'Your bike doesn't belong to the top 3.' Who cares! What'd ya expect with SO MANY cool bikes that are being build. There can be only one winner.

Does anybody else notice that the winner of the build off doesn't have to be the ultimate favorite bike? The winner could be everybody's 3 choice by getting the most votes eventhough they were just everybody's 3rd vote...
(It seems that only a few people get that..)

Therefor, the 1 vote-system would be my favorite. (Disreguarding the problem of people who'll give their vote to their own bike. Believe me, some do that...)

OR...
This just came to me: The best/honest/purest way of sellecting the ultimate winner of the build of would be having TWO voting-rounds.

- 1st Round: pick your 3 favorite bikes.
(This'll give us three bikes to choose from. And the chance for everybody to give and get their pitty/mercyvotes... :wink: )

- 2nd Round: pick your 1 favorite bike out of the three sellected.

Not wanting to make things complicated, but I think choosing your personal favorite out of the three sellected in the first round will give you the ABSOLUTE favorite for 98%. EVERYBODY HAPPY!
(Oh, and the other 2% should come from making the score invisible for those who haven't voted or till the voting is done.)

But really, I know it's a hassle to change the system, and to keep Steve from headin' out for some headachepills:
...I'm okay with the way things are..
. :wink:

(no... The colors I'm using for text is not a hint to my build. Just a friendly highlight. :wink: )

herr_rudolf said:
Ah okay. :)
I wasn't really aiming at you but at what you were suggesting I guess. Every year there are quite some people saying they can't make up their mind. To them I just want to say: '...If picking out a winner is too difficult, then... don't vote...'

But you do get the point I was trying to make? More votes each isn't going to help the already feeble voting system we have been using. For giving my appreciation to all the bikes I like and love I just leave a comment with my appreciation in it's buildthreads.

I should stop taking things personally. I got what you were aiming at, and understand why. I thought that with a couple more votes each, you could get a vote on your own bike out of the way and still have some left to vote for others.

I try to leave comments on those builds I really like, but even then there are lots and I forget which I have already commented on. Voting on 5 when all's said and done would suit my brain better. But, that is my personal opinion.

karfer67 said:

That sounds almost as complicated as the recently proposed change to the English voting system. I know I shouldn't talk about politics, but if you've got the time. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12910547

herr_rudolf said:
Does anybody else notice that the winner of the build off doesn't have to be the ultimate favorite bike? The winner could be everybody's 3 choice by getting the most votes eventhough they were just everybody's 3rd vote...
(It seems that only a few people get that..)

I didn't, and put that way you've got a bloody good argument right there.

herr_rudolf said:
OR...
This just came to me: The best/honest/purest way of sellecting the ultimate winner of the build of would be having TWO voting-rounds.

- 1st Round: pick your 3 favorite bikes.
(This'll give us three bikes to choose from. And the chance for everybody to give and get their pitty/mercyvotes... :wink: )

- 2nd Round: pick your 1 favorite bike out of the three sellected.

Not wanting to make things complicated, but I think choosing your personal favorite out of the three sellected in the first round will give you the ABSOLUTE favorite for 98%. EVERYBODY HAPPY!
(Oh, and the other 2% should come from making the score invisible for those who haven't voted or till the voting is done.)

But really, I know it's a hassle to change the system, and to keep Steve from headin' out for some headachepills:
...I'm okay with the way things are..
. :wink:

Sounds like a big head ache.

It's a bit late now but I didn't think the voting system was too bad. (ironically, I do now).

Back