BUILD OFF #6 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
druggedonions said:
I should stop taking things personally.

I should too... But it's normal I guess. You're pitchin an idea, and you got an answer. Remember, this is just an opinion of 1 out of 7425(!) members... But then again, that's why we have this discussion-thread.

Sorry for making you doubt the voting-system. :oops: :shock: :mrgreen:

I should be appointed judge, and all you peasants should just clam up! :p :lol: The chance of an all 3rd vote winner doesn't bother me, it's obviously a crowd pleaser if it gets that many. 1 vote would be fine too, or a run-off( There she staaands, miss rat rod build-off biiiike... :lol: ). Is entrance mandatory? Are you charged a fee? I hope you're not planning on living 'til next season on your winnings. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol:

deorman said:
The chance of an all 3rd vote winner doesn't bother me, it's obviously a crowd pleaser if it gets that many.

yup. I agree. It won't bother me either...

...Untill... my build ends up '2nd' place, ofcourse.... :shock: :wink:
In a competition, I'd still want to know... out of the three ultimate crowdpleasers which one would be THE ONE.
8)

herr_rudolf said:

It's all good. I'm here to learn, and discussion is certainly good for that. :D

I've come to the opinion that there isn't a perfect voting system. But does there have to be? The build off is just for fun. There isn't a big money prize and no one gets to govern if they win. I certainly am not in it to win, I would appreciate at least one vote. It's been great motivation to improve my skills and I get another bike at the end of it. It's all good. :mrgreen:

druggedonions said:
herr_rudolf said:

It's all good. I'm here to learn, and discussion is certainly good for that. :D

I've come to the opinion that there isn't a perfect voting system. But does there have to be? The build off is just for fun. There isn't a big money prize and no one gets to govern if they win. I certainly am not in it to win, I would appreciate at least one vote. It's been great motivation to improve my skills and I get another bike at the end of it. It's all good. :mrgreen:

All true. Can't argue with that. Although I tell myself all the time that I'm in it to win. That's my motivation to try and do my best. That way I get the most out of my build.
Getting a few votes (or even just one) would indeed be an honour. Think of it: Getting a vote means your bike is in someones TOP 3, ...out of 167 builds! Pretty awesome, if you ask me...
8)
Yes the build-off is all fun and games. But I also think: If you gotta do it, do it right. It struck me kinda funny that just a few noticed the loopholes in the votingsystem. I did mentioned it last year and when it becomes a subject I'll do it again...
:mrgreen:

Peatbog said:
I vote the bike build should run through the winter when there isn't as much "house" stuff to do instead of the summer when one's time is already more filled up. Of course, I am relatively new here, haven't entered a bike build, and have not really added anything to this site so far--so I could be voted to just shut up.

Haha,
Well, I kinda like the build-off set in the spring. I hate working on a bike in a cold backyard, ...or in an even colder shed... But springtime is always a busy period in the year. I can hardly find time for my build myself...
I work (daytime job) mainly at home 75% of the time behind my laptop. So the build-off pages is right under window number 2...
:mrgreen:

In regards to the "fairness" of the current voting system, I know it's not perfect, but it is something many of us here have given a great deal of thought to.

In the end, as noted, it's about the congratulations of your friends here, and the admiration of a few thousand enthusiasts worldwide. There is no big prize, or even anything worth any particular dollar amount. Which keeps us all honest...

We are all building bikes to a standard that doesn't exist except in our heads- we each have an idea what a "Rat Rod Bike" is, and those of us who build or modify one then render it in steel and aluminum (well, ok, just steel! :p ) and are limited by four things: What we have available; what can actually be made to work; what innovations we can come up with; and money.

Even within those limitations, we find nearly endless variety. Folks here are building everything from kids' bikes to full custom dream machines. Clearly some have incredible talents and skills in one aspect or many of the hobby. Some seem to be able to render straight from the dreamworld into steel and paint. Many of us conquer a technical challenge, turn out the lights for the night and say "good enough." Others are never satisfied, even when it is declared a finished project.

Some of what we see here is really amazing- the artwork, the technical knowhow, the welding, fabricating, and customization skills, the paintwork and pinstriping, the vision some builders have. I feel lucky to get to be a part of this group, and to count you guys as friends.

I will close with a suggestion- the top 10 voted bikes in the Build Off get into the 2012 Calendar! That leaves a couple slots open for the full customs and restored bikes. Maybe it should be 6 or 8 get in... I like 10 because it's a round number.

My opinions... best of luck everyone involved in RRBBO6.

--Rob

NLCTVWguy said:
In regards to the "fairness" of the current voting system, I know it's not perfect, but it is something many of us here have given a great deal of thought to.

In the end, as noted, it's about the congratulations of your friends here, and the admiration of a few thousand enthusiasts worldwide. There is no big prize, or even anything worth any particular dollar amount. Which keeps us all honest...

We are all building bikes to a standard that doesn't exist except in our heads- we each have an idea what a "Rat Rod Bike" is, and those of us who build or modify one then render it in steel and aluminum (well, ok, just steel! :p ) and are limited by four things: What we have available; what can actually be made to work; what innovations we can come up with; and money.

Even within those limitations, we find nearly endless variety. Folks here are building everything from kids' bikes to full custom dream machines. Clearly some have incredible talents and skills in one aspect or many of the hobby. Some seem to be able to render straight from the dreamworld into steel and paint. Many of us conquer a technical challenge, turn out the lights for the night and say "good enough." Others are never satisfied, even when it is declared a finished project.

Some of what we see here is really amazing- the artwork, the technical knowhow, the welding, fabricating, and customization skills, the paintwork and pinstriping, the vision some builders have. I feel lucky to get to be a part of this group, and to count you guys as friends.

I will close with a suggestion- the top 10 voted bikes in the Build Off get into the 2012 Calendar! That leaves a couple slots open for the full customs and restored bikes. Maybe it should be 6 or 8 get in... I like 10 because it's a round number.

--Rob

Well said.

Petrohead said:
NLCTVWguy said:

--Rob

Well said.

+1 I too think it would be cool for the top 10 voted bikes in the Build Off get into the 2012 Calendar! And, I'm pretty sure I won't be in it. There is tons of creativity on this site & I believe we all learn from each other. Everyone is civil, polite & there is no BS going on here. Just a lot of respect for different ideas & different methods of coolness! 8) There is also a great amount of humor as well! :lol:

+3 I too think it would be cool for the top 10 voted bikes in the Build Off get into the 2012 Calendar! looking at the calendar year round will inspier me for the next build off bike I do.

wich means I will have a even sicker bike to pedale next year and that can't be a bad thing :!:

Double Nickle said:
New Conversation

WHATS YOUR TOP 3 FAVORITE BIKES SO FAR?

MINE...
* HARD LUCK
* SSV#6
*Gaskills Jolene

You didn't say 76er, so I'm breaking up with you.

I don't like this conversation, feelings will get hurt! :cry:

I say it's too soon to be picking favorites, there's still alot of potential out there. But you did say "so far" so...

Mine... 19PENNYSAVER71, and... :?:

yoothgeye said:
Double Nickle said:
New Conversation

WHATS YOUR TOP 3 FAVORITE BIKES SO FAR?

MINE...
* HARD LUCK
* SSV#6
*Gaskills Jolene

You didn't say 76er, so I'm breaking up with you.

I don't like this conversation, feelings will get hurt! :cry:

I say it's too soon to be picking favorites, there's still alot of potential out there. But you did say "so far" so...

Mine... 19PENNYSAVER71, and... :?:
Well Its just so far. Anything can change. I just like those bikes and I like the direction those bikes are going. I didnt mean to hurt feelings. I just wanted to start a friendly conversation...

Double Nickle said:
Well Its just so far. Anything can change. I just like those bikes and I like the direction those bikes are going. I didnt mean to hurt feelings. I just wanted to start a friendly conversation...

Haha! You took me seriously! Haha, I guess that means I got you! My feelings don't get hurt (online) easily.

Yeah, I just am not looking forward to picking once the voting starts, so picking a "so far" would mess me up even more.

I was hoping to win until I seen what Double Nickle came up with :wink:

366 comments and 7525 views :shock:

yoothgeye said:
SCHWINNRAY69 said:
I was hoping to win until I seen what Double Nickle came up with :wink:

366 comments and 7525 views :shock:

Most of those are his comments and views. :wink:
Oh yeah, the 76er just might get a vote from me :wink:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Oh yeah, the 76er just mught get a vote from me :wink:

Well thank you, but first I must turn it into a bike instead of a collection of hand made or modified parts. haha

Back