Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. P

Completed Now! Fuji Super 12 - XL frame - for free!

Hey, I just got home from grabbing a "curb alert" bike off CraigsList and ended up with this super huge framed Fuji for free! It has 27" rims. I'm almost 6 ft and can't straddle the frame without feeling violated! These are the pics that came with the ad. The head tube is 10 1/2" tall...
  2. P

My Narrow Fire Arrow - 1957

A while back I acquired a primered frame and a handful of original parts off a 1957 Columbia FireArrow. I was finally able to get it finished today after sacrificing a few thrift store Schwinns for their easily recognizeable parts. This thing is super quick and a blast to ride! I really like...
  3. P

Help me find this build thread

I'm trying to find a build thread from a regular forum member who was building unbelievable parts on his metal lathe out of solid blocks of metal (aluminum?"). I believe he was from Germany, maybe? I recall it looked like he was working on his back porch or something similar. He was making a...
  4. P

Shimano 3 spd thumb shifter help

Four simple parts and I can't seem to get them together into anything that comes close to resembling a shifter! Am I missing a part? For some reason I feel like I need a ball bearing or something that will create a click type of sound when it "clicks" into position. Any and all advice would...
  5. P

Westfield Airider Special

I mentioned this bike back near Christmas but I haven't had time for pics so I finally got around to taking a few today. I love this bike! Haven't found out much info on it, but I can't want to polish, grease, and ride it. That's all I intend to do with this one. So, what do y'all know about...
  6. P

Shimano shifter cable - shortening

I'm planning on cutting about a foot off of a Nexus grip shifter cable and housing. I've recently learned that the housing is just as important as the inner braided cable. (I never thought of it as being anything more than a protective cover.) Any tips on cutting them? The end of the housing...
  7. P

Box #65 - 1940 Westfield Airider :)

So, it's been way too cold up here in the Mid-Atlantic so I took a drive down south and trolled around Tin's neighborhood until his UPS man dropped off Box #65 and I signed for it and took it on back with me! :mrgreen: Just kidding! But I did take possession of a black 1940 Westfield...
  8. P

Hey, I got a Christmas present too!

One of my neighbor buds saw this at a Thrift Store and after his military discount he got it for $16.00. Tossed a bow on it and leaned it against a rock in my yard and this is what I came home to! It's pretty far gone and I wouldn't be surprised if some fisherman had hooked it out of the...
  9. P

I need close up pics of your front drum-brake hub

I need some parts and direction on hooking up the brake cable to my drum brake. Can I get some close up pics of yours so I can figure out what parts I need to find. Also, besides a hose clamp, what can I use to secure the long brake arm to the front fork? It's narrower at the top so I'm...
  10. P

??? on Middleweight Rims and Tires

I'm looking for answers. Does anyone know what size tires were originally on a 1957 Columbia Fire Arrow? I know it's a middleweight bike but don't know much else. I recently acquired one without wheels. Will 700 X 40c tires fit on 26" rims? I have a few rims that I might try on this bike...
  11. P

Fire Hazards in the Workshop?

Hey guys, I have a question regarding combustables and fire hazards in my garage and wanted to get some opinions. We all probably work with a fair amount of paint thinners and other solvents to clean greasy parts but I recently bought a container of lacquer thinner, for no apparent reason, and...
  12. P

The Wedding Bike

My niece got married this past weekend and she had asked me if I'd clean up my old Worksman tandem so that she and her new husband could ride away on it from their wedding reception instead of leaving by car. They actually had a car waiting for them at the end of a long downhill driveway so...
  13. P

Rear Rack - legs not long enough!

Okay, I could have sworn I bought a JCHiggins rear rack for a 26" bike a while ago and it looked like it would fit when I held it up to my project but now that I have my Fat Franks mounted the legs on the rack aren't long enough to reach the axle without hitting the fender. The underside of...
  14. P

Drilling New Spoke Holes in Hub? Completed 8/19

Before I attempt this I wanted to post a thread for advice. I have a hub I want to lace to a hoop but the spoke holes in the flanges are way too big; like the spoke heads slip right through the holes big! My LBS advised me to drill entirely new, much skinnier, holes between each of the...
  15. P

Providing Feedback on RRB buyers & sellers?

:?: When I provide feedback on a buyer/seller and I'm supposed to identify the "role", am I clicking the choice for my role or the role of the person I'm providing feedback for? For instance, if I bought an item from another forum member and I'm leaving feedback and I have to click on the...
  16. P

I Ratted out a Tea Set - Gardener Style!

Besides bikes, anyone else on here into plants? I found this old silver-plated coffee and tea set in a spare bedroom at my mom's house that was so tarnished that it couldn't be recovered. Once I was convinced my mom was cool with it, I drilled holes in all the pieces (coffee pot, tea pot...
  17. P

Which color no-turn washers for Nexus 7 hub

I'm looking for help on which color of no-turn washers should be used when using a Nexus 7 spd coaster brake hub with an old frame that has rear facing drop outs? I went to Sheldon Brown's site and only saw suggestions for degrees up to 90* (vertical drop outs). I'm guessing since my drop outs...
  18. P

I May Have Saved Someone's Life Today!

Well today was pretty crazy. I'm in sales and was calling on one of my accounts in a rural area of my territory. Just like the rest of the nation it was a super hot day. My thermometer in my car registered 102 as the outside temp. I walked past a guy in a navy blue mini van with handicapped...
  19. P

Paint Scheme on Rear Rack - Completed 12/12

Brethren, Below is a pic of when this rear rack was light blue and dark blue. It's going to be repainted red and cream. (The rest of the bike is red with minimal creme accents.) Can I get opinions/ideas/comments on which parts of it should be red and which parts should be cream? You know...
  20. P

The Monark Butterflyer! Finally Done! 2/13/11

Okay, so the name isn't the most masculine! :oops: But it's a Monark and it has one of those "butterfly" type stands so that's what my daughter and I started calling it. Anyway, I just wanted to share with you guys the beginning of my project. In my mind it's a whole lot further along than it...
Back